Having honed his craft in German dance clubs, Queens native Deskee proves a deft groove-mixer, spiking a sound known as ”hip-house” (a combination of rap and dance music) with shots of disco and reggae in No. 1 Is the Number. His voice, like those of the best rappers, has a forcefulness and a musical resonance that propels the beat on No. 1 Is the Number as powerfully as a well-played rhythm instrument would. As for the songs, several of them — most notably ”Kid Get Hyped” and ”Lost in Groove” — feature hooks worthy of Deskee’s energetic delivery. B+
No. 1 Is the NumberHaving honed his craft in German dance clubs, Queens native Deskee proves a deft groove-mixer, spiking a sound known as ''hip-house'' (a combination of...No. 1 Is the NumberElectronicHaving honed his craft in German dance clubs, Queens native Deskee proves a deft groove-mixer, spiking a sound known as ''hip-house'' (a combination of...1991-01-18
Genre: Electronic; Lead Performer: Deskee; Producer (group): RCA
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!