Having honed his craft in German dance clubs, Queens native Deskee proves a deft groove-mixer, spiking a sound known as ”hip-house” (a combination of rap and dance music) with shots of disco and reggae in No. 1 Is the Number. His voice, like those of the best rappers, has a forcefulness and a musical resonance that propels the beat on No. 1 Is the Number as powerfully as a well-played rhythm instrument would. As for the songs, several of them — most notably ”Kid Get Hyped” and ”Lost in Groove” — feature hooks worthy of Deskee’s energetic delivery. B+
No. 1 Is the NumberHaving honed his craft in German dance clubs, Queens native Deskee proves a deft groove-mixer, spiking a sound known as ''hip-house'' (a combination of...No. 1 Is the NumberElectronicHaving honed his craft in German dance clubs, Queens native Deskee proves a deft groove-mixer, spiking a sound known as ''hip-house'' (a combination of...1991-01-18
Genre: Electronic; Lead Performer: Deskee; Producer (group): RCA
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- How the new Oscar producers plan to change the show (and make it shorter)
- 'Batmetal Returns' to cover Dethklok, and destroy some of your favorite cartoon characters
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!