On his second album, Poor Man’s Dream, folk- and country-rocker Tom Russell continues to craft solid, original story-songs out of American folk traditions. Singing in a rugged, vagabond voice that occasionally seems choked with trail dust, he chronicles the deferred dreams of common people, usually caught in a trap of their own making. Russell hits his stride with stark and chilling songs of irony, such as the Steve Earle-like ”Veteran’s Day,” a Vietnam War song with a bitter twist, and ”Bergenfield,” a wake-up call for a community puzzled by its numerous teen suicides. Potent stuff. A-
Poor Man's Dream On his second album, Poor Man's Dream, folk- and country-rocker Tom Russell continues to craft solid, original story-songs out of ...Poor Man's DreamCountry On his second album, Poor Man's Dream, folk- and country-rocker Tom Russell continues to craft solid, original story-songs out of ...1991-01-18
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!