On his second album, Poor Man’s Dream, folk- and country-rocker Tom Russell continues to craft solid, original story-songs out of American folk traditions. Singing in a rugged, vagabond voice that occasionally seems choked with trail dust, he chronicles the deferred dreams of common people, usually caught in a trap of their own making. Russell hits his stride with stark and chilling songs of irony, such as the Steve Earle-like ”Veteran’s Day,” a Vietnam War song with a bitter twist, and ”Bergenfield,” a wake-up call for a community puzzled by its numerous teen suicides. Potent stuff. A-
Poor Man's Dream On his second album, Poor Man's Dream, folk- and country-rocker Tom Russell continues to craft solid, original story-songs out of ...Poor Man's DreamCountry On his second album, Poor Man's Dream, folk- and country-rocker Tom Russell continues to craft solid, original story-songs out of ...1991-01-18
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!