On his second album, Poor Man’s Dream, folk- and country-rocker Tom Russell continues to craft solid, original story-songs out of American folk traditions. Singing in a rugged, vagabond voice that occasionally seems choked with trail dust, he chronicles the deferred dreams of common people, usually caught in a trap of their own making. Russell hits his stride with stark and chilling songs of irony, such as the Steve Earle-like ”Veteran’s Day,” a Vietnam War song with a bitter twist, and ”Bergenfield,” a wake-up call for a community puzzled by its numerous teen suicides. Potent stuff. A-
Poor Man's Dream On his second album, Poor Man's Dream, folk- and country-rocker Tom Russell continues to craft solid, original story-songs out of ...Poor Man's DreamCountry On his second album, Poor Man's Dream, folk- and country-rocker Tom Russell continues to craft solid, original story-songs out of ...1991-01-18
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!