Actor-director Robert Townsend (Hollywood Shuffle) is going to unusual lengths to promote his latest movie, The Five Heartbeats, a bittersweet drama about a fictional ’60s soul group of the same name. In the three weeks before the film’s February release, the Heartbeats (Leon, Harry J. Lennix, Townsend, Michael Wright, and Tico Wells) will join real-life soulmen The Dells for a 10-to-18-city concert tour. As to how live the opening act actually will be (given the recent trend in prefab vocals), Townsend says, ”It’ll combine singing and taped tracks. I’m a singer,” he says with a laugh, ”but some of the other guys don’t have the greatest voices.”
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jared Padalecki & Stephen Amell get shirtless in the name of charity
- Simon Kinberg defends 'Fantastic 4': 'It’s not a disaster'
- Meet the new kids on the hip-hop block
- 'The Mindy Project's Ike Barinholtz is coming out with a book
- A movie about Pez Candy is being made
- See an exclusive preview of Leslie Stein's dreamy, gorgeous cartoons from 'Bright-Eyed at Midnight'
- Nicolas Cage talks 'The Runner,' explains why he's not 'a madman'
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!