Actor-director Robert Townsend (Hollywood Shuffle) is going to unusual lengths to promote his latest movie, The Five Heartbeats, a bittersweet drama about a fictional ’60s soul group of the same name. In the three weeks before the film’s February release, the Heartbeats (Leon, Harry J. Lennix, Townsend, Michael Wright, and Tico Wells) will join real-life soulmen The Dells for a 10-to-18-city concert tour. As to how live the opening act actually will be (given the recent trend in prefab vocals), Townsend says, ”It’ll combine singing and taped tracks. I’m a singer,” he says with a laugh, ”but some of the other guys don’t have the greatest voices.”
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...