Actor-director Robert Townsend (Hollywood Shuffle) is going to unusual lengths to promote his latest movie, The Five Heartbeats, a bittersweet drama about a fictional ’60s soul group of the same name. In the three weeks before the film’s February release, the Heartbeats (Leon, Harry J. Lennix, Townsend, Michael Wright, and Tico Wells) will join real-life soulmen The Dells for a 10-to-18-city concert tour. As to how live the opening act actually will be (given the recent trend in prefab vocals), Townsend says, ”It’ll combine singing and taped tracks. I’m a singer,” he says with a laugh, ”but some of the other guys don’t have the greatest voices.”
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Schwarzenegger takes on climate change in James Cameron's DNC video
- Will Jessica Jones appear on 'Luke Cage'?
- John Malkovich to headline TV adaptation of 'Humboldt' crime novels
- 'Lights Out' sequel is in early stages at New Line
- 'Ghostbusters' Twitter account endorses Hillary Clinton: '#ImWithHer'
- Brie Larson opens up about 'nerve-racking' Captain Marvel reveal
- Disney's live-action 'Nutcracker' casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels