Actor-director Robert Townsend (Hollywood Shuffle) is going to unusual lengths to promote his latest movie, The Five Heartbeats, a bittersweet drama about a fictional ’60s soul group of the same name. In the three weeks before the film’s February release, the Heartbeats (Leon, Harry J. Lennix, Townsend, Michael Wright, and Tico Wells) will join real-life soulmen The Dells for a 10-to-18-city concert tour. As to how live the opening act actually will be (given the recent trend in prefab vocals), Townsend says, ”It’ll combine singing and taped tracks. I’m a singer,” he says with a laugh, ”but some of the other guys don’t have the greatest voices.”
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kids share their thoughts on marriage equality on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- Evangeline Lilly reveals pregnancy on the 'Ant-Man' premiere red carpet
- Julia Roberts seeks justice for an unspeakable murder in 'Secret in Their Eyes'
- Here's a supercut of movie characters flipping the bird
- Jewel goes full '90s and covers Backstreet Boys' 'I Want It That Way'
- Robert Redford calls for action on climate change in passionate speech
- Rick Astley just rick rolled us with 'Uptown Funk'