Here’s one for the résumé: ”Starred in Robert Redford’s first movie ménage à trois.” Actresses Betsy Brantley and Lise Cutter earned that distinctive credit in Havana, the homage to Casablanca that teams Redford with steamy Swede Lena Olin. Olin may be the star, but the most sizzling sequence in the film belongs to Brantley and Cutter as Diane and Patty, two straitlaced Americanitas looking for a wild time in the Cuban capital. And that they get: The frisky three-way love scene, driven by a rumba beat, is intercut with shots of Cuban government thugs murdering rebels. ”Redford was a virgin before us, as far as ménage à trois,” says Cutter, 31. ”I remember reading the script and thinking, ‘Robert Redford and two women? Never happen.’ We broke him in real slow.” Redford and director Sydney Pollack, working together for the seventh time, ”were amazingly gentle and quiet,” during the half-day shoot of the scene, says Brantley, 35, who is married to Steven Soderbergh, the director of sex, lies, and videotape, 1989’s Cannes Film Festival winner. ”It just took away all of the tension.”
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren tangle in new photo from 'Trumbo'
- Meet the four real-life Jerry Maguires on 'The Agent' — EXCLUSIVE
- 'Thrones' actor on new show: 'We don't need dragons. We got cocaine!'
- David Spade: 'Fameless' isn't mean-spirited — the contestants are too 'thirsty'
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp': On the set of the prequel
- Azealia Banks: Australian crowds are 'violent' and 'terrible'
- Exclusive clip from TV satire 'Shooting the Warwicks' is unreal
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!