Californian Carol Field timed her visits to catch the feasts and festivals that occur somewhere in Italy almost any given day. In Celebrating Italy, a splendid cookbook, travel guide, and cultural history, she describes the violent three-day battle of oranges that marks carnival time in the town of Ivrea, in Piedmont; the two-ton cake with which the villagers of Lavagna, near Genoa, still commemorate a 13th-century noble’s wedding; Verona’s gnocchi bacchanalia; and about three dozen other passionately enacted rituals of spectacle, devotion, and gastronomic indulgence. For prospective travelers she adds a chronological list of more than 250 celebrations. For stay-at-home cooks she provides surprisingly unintimidating recipes for the celebrated dishes. A
Celebrating Italy Californian Carol Field timed her visits to catch the feasts and festivals that occur somewhere in Italy almost any given day. In...Celebrating ItalyNonfiction, Cooking/HomeCarol Field Californian Carol Field timed her visits to catch the feasts and festivals that occur somewhere in Italy almost any given day. In...1991-01-25Morrow
Genre: Nonfiction, Cooking/Home; Author: Carol Field; Publisher: Morrow
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquaio fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' creators break down the latest twist: 'It's an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Walking Dead' actor in subway rant clip
- Celebrities who share a birthday with the new Royal Baby
- Ruth Rendell, mysteries writer, dies at 85
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!