When ground-breaking bandleader Thomas Mapfumo single-handedly overhauled Zimbabwean pop music in the early ’70s, the revolution was more than musical. The country was called Rhodesia then, and Mapfumo’s chimurenga (or ”liberation”) singles, sung in a language the ruling whites didn’t understand, helped galvanize a struggle that triumphed in black majority rule in 1980. The many groups that bloomed in the ensuing freedom specialized in the sounds of delight: gorgeously circular guitar riffs, chattering cymbals, and lyrics that celebrated the dawn of a new world. Ten years later, however, Spirit of the Eagle indicates the scene could use some fresh blood. The current stars are here — Patrick Mkwamba, the Four Brothers, Nyami Nyami Sounds — but a keenness, an edge, is missing from most of the tracks. The exception is Mapfumo himself, who continues to be one of the most majestic performers on the planet. His two cuts are not just this album’s high points — they’re chapters in a private artistic revolution that refuses to stop, even when the party seems to be over for everybody else. C+
Spirit of the Eagle: Zimbabwe Frontline Vol. 2 When ground-breaking bandleader Thomas Mapfumo single-handedly overhauled Zimbabwean pop music in the early '70s, the revolution was more than musical...Spirit of the Eagle: Zimbabwe Frontline Vol. 2World When ground-breaking bandleader Thomas Mapfumo single-handedly overhauled Zimbabwean pop music in the early '70s, the revolution was more than musical...1991-01-25
Genre: World; Lead Performer: Various Artists
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!