When ground-breaking bandleader Thomas Mapfumo single-handedly overhauled Zimbabwean pop music in the early ’70s, the revolution was more than musical. The country was called Rhodesia then, and Mapfumo’s chimurenga (or ”liberation”) singles, sung in a language the ruling whites didn’t understand, helped galvanize a struggle that triumphed in black majority rule in 1980. The many groups that bloomed in the ensuing freedom specialized in the sounds of delight: gorgeously circular guitar riffs, chattering cymbals, and lyrics that celebrated the dawn of a new world. Ten years later, however, Spirit of the Eagle indicates the scene could use some fresh blood. The current stars are here — Patrick Mkwamba, the Four Brothers, Nyami Nyami Sounds — but a keenness, an edge, is missing from most of the tracks. The exception is Mapfumo himself, who continues to be one of the most majestic performers on the planet. His two cuts are not just this album’s high points — they’re chapters in a private artistic revolution that refuses to stop, even when the party seems to be over for everybody else. C+
Spirit of the Eagle: Zimbabwe Frontline Vol. 2 When ground-breaking bandleader Thomas Mapfumo single-handedly overhauled Zimbabwean pop music in the early '70s, the revolution was more than musical...Spirit of the Eagle: Zimbabwe Frontline Vol. 2World When ground-breaking bandleader Thomas Mapfumo single-handedly overhauled Zimbabwean pop music in the early '70s, the revolution was more than musical...1991-01-25
Genre: World; Lead Performer: Various Artists
Posted January 25 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!