When ground-breaking bandleader Thomas Mapfumo single-handedly overhauled Zimbabwean pop music in the early ’70s, the revolution was more than musical. The country was called Rhodesia then, and Mapfumo’s chimurenga (or ”liberation”) singles, sung in a language the ruling whites didn’t understand, helped galvanize a struggle that triumphed in black majority rule in 1980. The many groups that bloomed in the ensuing freedom specialized in the sounds of delight: gorgeously circular guitar riffs, chattering cymbals, and lyrics that celebrated the dawn of a new world. Ten years later, however, Spirit of the Eagle indicates the scene could use some fresh blood. The current stars are here — Patrick Mkwamba, the Four Brothers, Nyami Nyami Sounds — but a keenness, an edge, is missing from most of the tracks. The exception is Mapfumo himself, who continues to be one of the most majestic performers on the planet. His two cuts are not just this album’s high points — they’re chapters in a private artistic revolution that refuses to stop, even when the party seems to be over for everybody else. C+
Spirit of the Eagle: Zimbabwe Frontline Vol. 2 When ground-breaking bandleader Thomas Mapfumo single-handedly overhauled Zimbabwean pop music in the early '70s, the revolution was more than musical...Spirit of the Eagle: Zimbabwe Frontline Vol. 2World When ground-breaking bandleader Thomas Mapfumo single-handedly overhauled Zimbabwean pop music in the early '70s, the revolution was more than musical...1991-01-25
Genre: World; Lead Performer: Various Artists
Posted January 25 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!