At a time when adult pop singers regularly mistake showing off for true virtuosity (think of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey), Celine Dion comes as a welcome relief with Unison. This 23-year-old Canadian singer isn’t obsessed with displaying how many notes she can hit and how hard she can hit them. True, Dion’s voice is hefty and her phrasing skilled. But on her first American LP her singing remains tastefully unadorned. Better yet, Dion never attempts to bring off styles that are beyond her. While Whitney and Mariah give us ersatz gospel and supper-club soul, Dion concentrates on mainstream, grown-up pop. Tracks like ”If Love Is Out of the Question” and ”The Last to Know” are lush vehicles, filled with routine hooks that Dion’s distinctive voice raises to a higher level. Dion does falter when she moves outside of plush ballads (as in the forced dance-club mix of ”I Feel Too Much”). But within her metier, the singer proves an important point: that even the most naturally generous voices can benefit from a little modesty. B
Unison At a time when adult pop singers regularly mistake showing off for true virtuosity (think of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey), Celine Dion comes as a...UnisonPop At a time when adult pop singers regularly mistake showing off for true virtuosity (think of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey), Celine Dion comes as a...1991-01-25
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Celine Dion
Posted January 25 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!