At a time when adult pop singers regularly mistake showing off for true virtuosity (think of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey), Celine Dion comes as a welcome relief with Unison. This 23-year-old Canadian singer isn’t obsessed with displaying how many notes she can hit and how hard she can hit them. True, Dion’s voice is hefty and her phrasing skilled. But on her first American LP her singing remains tastefully unadorned. Better yet, Dion never attempts to bring off styles that are beyond her. While Whitney and Mariah give us ersatz gospel and supper-club soul, Dion concentrates on mainstream, grown-up pop. Tracks like ”If Love Is Out of the Question” and ”The Last to Know” are lush vehicles, filled with routine hooks that Dion’s distinctive voice raises to a higher level. Dion does falter when she moves outside of plush ballads (as in the forced dance-club mix of ”I Feel Too Much”). But within her metier, the singer proves an important point: that even the most naturally generous voices can benefit from a little modesty. B
Unison At a time when adult pop singers regularly mistake showing off for true virtuosity (think of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey), Celine Dion comes as a...UnisonPop At a time when adult pop singers regularly mistake showing off for true virtuosity (think of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey), Celine Dion comes as a...1991-01-25
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Celine Dion
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Ariana Grande adds new dates and cities to The Honeymoon Tour
- 'Saturday Night Live' best host poll: The Rock flexes his comedy muscles
- Smashing Pumpkins explore PTSD in "Drum + Fife" video
- 'Sherlock' co-creator: For the last time, Holmes is not gay
- Jamie Foxx makes controversial Bruce Jenner joke at iHeartRadio Music Awards
- Play a 'Super Mario 64' level online for free
- Death threats against BBC director investigated following Jeremy Clarkson firing
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Clare & Don and More!