Nancy Verde Barr’s nostalgic tribute to what she describes as America’s heritage of Southern Italian cooking, We Called It Macaroni, is right in step with the current vogue for grandma’s food. Barr stretches her Southern Italian heritage a bit by including some dishes she’s picked up in Italy as well as some newly imported ingredients her Nonna had to do without, but the food is probably all the better for such improvisations. These delectable, emphatic, and uncomplicated dishes come here complete with affectionate memories, historical tidbits, and sound advice on achieving an Italian grandma’s memorable results. B+
We Called It Macaroni Nancy Verde Barr's nostalgic tribute to what she describes as America's heritage of Southern Italian cooking, We Called It Macaroni...We Called It MacaroniCooking/Home, NonfictionNancy Verde Barr Nancy Verde Barr's nostalgic tribute to what she describes as America's heritage of Southern Italian cooking, We Called It Macaroni...1991-01-25Knopf
Genre: Cooking/Home, Nonfiction; Author: Nancy Verde Barr; Status: In Season; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 25 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock: A tribute to the humane spirit
- 'McFarland, USA' and the neutering of sports movies
- Leonard Nimoy: 9 'I Am Not Spock' TV roles
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?