Nancy Verde Barr’s nostalgic tribute to what she describes as America’s heritage of Southern Italian cooking, We Called It Macaroni, is right in step with the current vogue for grandma’s food. Barr stretches her Southern Italian heritage a bit by including some dishes she’s picked up in Italy as well as some newly imported ingredients her Nonna had to do without, but the food is probably all the better for such improvisations. These delectable, emphatic, and uncomplicated dishes come here complete with affectionate memories, historical tidbits, and sound advice on achieving an Italian grandma’s memorable results. B+
We Called It Macaroni Nancy Verde Barr's nostalgic tribute to what she describes as America's heritage of Southern Italian cooking, We Called It Macaroni...We Called It MacaroniCooking/Home, NonfictionNancy Verde Barr Nancy Verde Barr's nostalgic tribute to what she describes as America's heritage of Southern Italian cooking, We Called It Macaroni...1991-01-25Knopf
Genre: Cooking/Home, Nonfiction; Author: Nancy Verde Barr; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Americans' bosses on Paige, her future, and the endgame after (spoiler!)
- Casting Net: Anna Kendrick joins Zac Efron in 'Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates'
- Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig in Lifetime movie (no, really!)
- Kendrick Lamar goes back to Compton for 'King Kunta' video: Watch
- Katie Couric pulls off 'an amazing prank' on James Corden for April Fools' Day: Watch
- From People: Courteney Cox steals Erin Foster's socks in 'Barely Famous' clip
- 'Grey's Anatomy' finale: A kidnapping! A massive earthquake! A crossover!