White Fang, Jack London’s classic novel about a young adventurer who befriends a wolf-dog in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness has a lot of built-in hooks: scenes of bad guys abusing the animal and training him to be a killer; teary, Lassie Come Home reunions; our hero discovering gold in them thar hills. Yet despite some splendid snowcapped vistas and one rather frightening grizzly-bear attack, this new screen version is dramatically inert. Nothing in the picture really takes hold — certainly not the relationship between Jack (Ethan Hawke) and White Fang, who seem like near-strangers even at the final clinch. C-
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Klaus Maria Brandauer, Ethan Hawke, Randal Kleiser, Seymour Cassel, William Moseley, James Remar; Director: Randal Kleiser; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures, Walt Disney Home Video
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!