Will to Power is the duo — producer-Svengali Bob Rosenberg and singer Elin Michaels — that had a fluke 1988 hit with an improbable medley of Peter Frampton’s chirpy AM hit ”Baby, I Love Your Way” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s schlock FM elegy ”Free Bird.” Funny, sure — but the thing went to No. 1! Now the band — proudly named for noted problem child Friedrich Nietszche’s dictum ”the first result of happiness is a sense of power” — is back with record number two. Again the material is predominantly colorless, pop songs (by Rosenberg) with unimaginably banal lyrics: ”Fly away bird/I know you can fly so high/Got to get away/And to know the reason why.” Besides a cover of 10cc’s ”I’m Not in Love” (now headed toward the Top 10), the only track on Journey Home that stands out is the monstrous ”Koyaanisquatsi,” a treatise set to a dance beat. The song’s title (Hopi for ”life out of balance”) comes from a well-known art film; the lyrics — portentous quotations about power and freedom and such — are intoned by Rosenberg, who adds some of his own great thoughts: ”Down with the new age/Up with reality.” The song is uniquely, sweepingly misconceived, a definite low point on what is otherwise an utterly undistinguished record. D+
Journey HomeWill to Power is the duo — producer-Svengali Bob Rosenberg and singer Elin Michaels — that had a fluke 1988 hit with an improbable medley of...Journey HomePopWill to Power is the duo — producer-Svengali Bob Rosenberg and singer Elin Michaels — that had a fluke 1988 hit with an improbable medley of...1991-02-01
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Justin Timberlake thanks mom, wife, and everyone who called him 'different' accepting iHeart Radio's Innovator Award
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time' reveals what happened to Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!