The first four songs on A Little Ain’t Enough are driving, sassy tunes entirely in keeping with our image of David Lee Roth, the smart, self-consciously dissolute former lead singer of Van Halen. But the fifth, ”Tell the Truth,” slows abruptly to mid-tempo, and features some of his most expressive singing ever. Getting serious and attempting to lure a wayward lover back home, Roth’s croon is a solemn croak; he sounds like Tom Waits after a tracheotomy. Like all good pop stars, Roth makes his limitations work for him. His thin growl of a voice has always managed to convey lust, irony, and intelligence. Ain’t Enough offers ample evidence that the preening Roth has his tender side. On ”Sensible Shoes,” which cleverly uses a two-note guitar riff from Creedence Clearwater Revival’s ”Born on the Bayou” as its hook, the usually cocky singer admits that he’s ”a heartache on parade” since his baby left him; he implores her to return. Of course, range and courtliness aren’t exactly qualities that help sell hard-rock records. No dummy, Roth makes sure to include some crass, insensitive music to please his longtime fans. Accordingly, two flagrant Van Halen rip-offs, ”Last Call” and ”It’s Showtime,” feature guitarist Jason Becker doing his best to approximate the screwball arpeggios of Eddie Van Halen. Becker is no Eddie, but look at the bright side: David isn’t a howler like Van Halen lead singer Sammy Hagar. Those two songs are, in other words, honorable rip-offs, and this is as admirable a record as a cynic like Roth is likely to release.
A Little Ain't EnoughThe first four songs on A Little Ain't Enough are driving, sassy tunes entirely in keeping with our image of David Lee Roth, the smart, self...A Little Ain't EnoughRockThe first four songs on A Little Ain't Enough are driving, sassy tunes entirely in keeping with our image of David Lee Roth, the smart, self...1991-02-01Warner Bros.
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: David Lee Roth; Distributor: Warner Bros.; Music Label: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Suicide Squad': Who's who in the new cast photo
- EW's 2015 Baby Power List: Princess Charlotte debuts at...?
- Charlize Theron on going bald for 'Mad Max'
- Jaden Smith deletes his Twitter
- Domhnall Gleeson talks 'Star Wars' while playing 'Star Wars'
- Match these 'Star Wars' characters with their home worlds
- Quicksilver vs. Quicksilver: How 'Avengers' and 'X-Men' introduced the same character differently
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!