This is the Ambitious Lovers’ third excursion into the seven deadly sins, following cheerfully in the wake of their previous albums, Envy and Greed. The band comprises Peter Scherer, who handles keyboards, programming, and production, and Arto Lindsay, a longtime New York art nerd whose wheedling guitar stylings and off-kilter personality generally have enlivened such avant aggregations as DNA, the Lounge Lizards, and the Golden Palominos. After seven years and three albums, the Ambitious Lovers has to be considered the friendliest and most promising of all these groups. Lindsay and Scherer have steadily thrown off many of the seven deadly sins of New York art rock — obfuscation, noisemeistering and pretentiousness prominent among them. Lust continues their move toward a smooth dance pop for adults that is still very strange but oddly alluring — sonically, at least. It doesn’t always work, but for every song like ”Tuck It In,” which sounds too much like white boys trying too hard to be funky, there’s a deeply pleasurable grinder like ”Half Out of It.” Odd squawks, squeals, and clanks rise to the surface occasionally, with just enough stop-and-start rhythms and unorthodox song structures to keep the avant-gardists interested. All that’s missing is some grit — the overall feel is that of sardonic funksters Was (Not Was) without the edge. Standout: ”É Preciso Perdoar,” a calm and unadorned ballad (Lindsay grew up in Brazil and contributes one song in Portuguese to each album). Nice. B
LustThis is the Ambitious Lovers' third excursion into the seven deadly sins, following cheerfully in the wake of their previous albums, Envy and ...LustRockThis is the Ambitious Lovers' third excursion into the seven deadly sins, following cheerfully in the wake of their previous albums, Envy and ...1991-02-01
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Elektra
Posted February 1 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Things look dark in trailer for Kristen Wiig's new movie 'Nasty Baby'
- Bill Murray earns his 20 percent in 'Rock the Kasbah' trailer
- Daniel Craig's go-to hangover cure is ...
- IFC postpones episode of 'Documentary Now!' in wake of WBDJ shooting
- Summit's new franchise hero? Julius Caesar
- 'The Walking Dead' star Lauren Cohan says season 6 is 'suffocating'
- How realistic was that 'Breaking Bad' machine gun scene?
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!