Alexander O’Neal’s four previous releases have established him as a postmodern love-man — a smooth balladeer with enlightened attitudes about men and women, as well as sensuous rhythms courtesy of his career-long producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. All True Man makes gestures toward something new — on ”Time Is Running Out,” the love-man gets socially conscious about the environment; on ”The Yoke,” he urges listeners to throw off the weight of oppression — racial, sexual, political. But thank goodness, on most of the album Jam and Lewis simply let O’Neal be O’Neal: serenading the listener with his thick-throated, raspy croon; adjusting his phrasing for the fast, new jack swing-y numbers; settling into a sexy moan for the slow ones. The title song is his absolute triumph to date, a proclamation of masculinity that’s discursive, complex, never sexist, always sexy. And the fact that it is the title song means he knows how good it is, which speaks well for his glowing self-awareness.
All True Man Alexander O'Neal's four previous releases have established him as a postmodern love-man — a smooth balladeer with enlightened attitudes about men...All True ManPop, Rock Alexander O'Neal's four previous releases have established him as a postmodern love-man — a smooth balladeer with enlightened attitudes about men...1991-02-08
Genre: Pop, Rock; Lead Performer: Alexander O'Neal
Posted February 8 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fidel Castro used to fact-check Gabriel Garcia Marquez's manuscripts
- George Harrison's estate posts throwback tribute to John Lennon
- Read an excerpt from Willie Nelson's Christmas book, 'Pretty Paper'
- Candace Cameron Bure is leaving 'The View'
- T-Pain haunts Smosh in 'Ghostmates' trailer — exclusive
- 'Rogue One' star Riz Ahmed raps about 'Star Wars' on 'Tonight Show'
- 'Vampire Diaries' sneak peek: Cade visits Stefan in mid-season finale
- Finding 'La La Land': Director Damien Chazelle's 15 Influences for His New Musical Romance
- 38 Photos of Ian Somerhalder For His 38th Birthday
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21: Meet Nick's 30 Bachelorettes
- This Is What the 2001 'Ocean's Eleven' Premiere Looked Like
- 17 Star-Studded Celebrity Cookbooks
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk