Anyone who’s seen the 2 Live Crew in action or watched their pathetic performance on last year’s MTV awards already knows that Luther Campbell and gang are one of the most inept live acts in history. But even that low standard won’t prepare you for Live in Concert, recorded last year in Phoenix. For your hard-earned dollars, you get a smidgen of music, namely lazy run- throughs of ”Me So Horny,” ”The F—k Shop,” and their other bawdy romps. But you get so much more: (1) Campbell leading the crowd in football-style cheers, including such rib-ticklers as ”Hey, d—suckers” and ”Take your grubby ass home, bitch!”; (2) Campbell and the band indulging in repeated cheers of ”hey ho,” as tired a rap-concert cliché as dry-ice fog at an arena rock show; (3) Campbell’s insightful views on Southwestern culture, like, ”Guess you all f— in the desert, huh?” and ”Is Phoenix horny or what?”; and (4) muddy sound and ultra-cheesy packaging that must have set Campbell’s record company back about, oh, $17. Perhaps the Arizona audience, which does a letter-perfect impersonation of a leering mob, should receive all the royalties: On Live in Concert, they work harder than the 2 Live Crew.
The 2 Live Crew Live in Concert Anyone who's seen the 2 Live Crew in action or watched their pathetic performance on last year's MTV awards already knows that Luther Campbell and...The 2 Live Crew Live in ConcertHip-Hop/Rap Anyone who's seen the 2 Live Crew in action or watched their pathetic performance on last year's MTV awards already knows that Luther Campbell and...1991-03-01
Posted March 1 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the special Comic-Con DVD art for 'Teen Wolf' season 4
- Donald Trump doubles down on Mexico comments: 'It’s totally accurate'
- Kendrick Lamar's 'Alright' video, and everything isn't really all right
- Kings of Leon confirms 7th studio album is on the way
- 'Agent Carter' exclusive: Who's returning for season 2?
- Who should replace Donald Trump as host of 'The Apprentice'?
- Donald Trump is suing Univision
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!