The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, the latest best-seller by TV chef Jeff Smith, takes a characteristically breezy-but-businesslike approach to our immigrant heritage. For this sampling from 35 ethnic traditions, Smith has ignored the customary star cuisines — Chinese, Italian, and French — in favor of others less glamorous, such as Irish and German; lesser known, like Jamaican and Yugoslavian; and more recently established, such as Thai and Ethiopian. Give or take a few sometimes inexplicable ”improvements,” his recipes are faithful and easily manageable versions of Old Country chestnuts and New World improvisations. But not withstanding the cute subtitle, ”Recipes you should have gotten from your grandmother,” the book’s chief appeal is in the professional way it’s been screened and sifted for cross-cultural browsing. B
The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, the latest best-seller by TV chef Jeff Smith, takes a characteristically breezy-but...The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant AncestorsCooking/HomeJeff Smith The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, the latest best-seller by TV chef Jeff Smith, takes a characteristically breezy-but...1991-03-01
Genre: Cooking/Home; Author: Jeff Smith
Posted March 1 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!