The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, the latest best-seller by TV chef Jeff Smith, takes a characteristically breezy-but-businesslike approach to our immigrant heritage. For this sampling from 35 ethnic traditions, Smith has ignored the customary star cuisines — Chinese, Italian, and French — in favor of others less glamorous, such as Irish and German; lesser known, like Jamaican and Yugoslavian; and more recently established, such as Thai and Ethiopian. Give or take a few sometimes inexplicable ”improvements,” his recipes are faithful and easily manageable versions of Old Country chestnuts and New World improvisations. But not withstanding the cute subtitle, ”Recipes you should have gotten from your grandmother,” the book’s chief appeal is in the professional way it’s been screened and sifted for cross-cultural browsing. B
The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, the latest best-seller by TV chef Jeff Smith, takes a characteristically breezy-but...The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant AncestorsCooking/HomeJeff Smith The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, the latest best-seller by TV chef Jeff Smith, takes a characteristically breezy-but...1991-03-01
Genre: Cooking/Home; Author: Jeff Smith
Posted March 1 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Cary Fukunaga leaves Stephen King adaptation 'It,' production indefinitely delayed
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas' 'Trust You': Hear it, get scoop on new album
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!