The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, the latest best-seller by TV chef Jeff Smith, takes a characteristically breezy-but-businesslike approach to our immigrant heritage. For this sampling from 35 ethnic traditions, Smith has ignored the customary star cuisines — Chinese, Italian, and French — in favor of others less glamorous, such as Irish and German; lesser known, like Jamaican and Yugoslavian; and more recently established, such as Thai and Ethiopian. Give or take a few sometimes inexplicable ”improvements,” his recipes are faithful and easily manageable versions of Old Country chestnuts and New World improvisations. But not withstanding the cute subtitle, ”Recipes you should have gotten from your grandmother,” the book’s chief appeal is in the professional way it’s been screened and sifted for cross-cultural browsing. B
The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, the latest best-seller by TV chef Jeff Smith, takes a characteristically breezy-but...The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant AncestorsCooking/HomeJeff Smith The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, the latest best-seller by TV chef Jeff Smith, takes a characteristically breezy-but...1991-03-01
Genre: Cooking/Home; Author: Jeff Smith
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More