John Goodman’s wry charm has something to do with the fact that his personality is so much smaller than his body. You’d expect a man who’s this huge — and in the past couple of years, he has gotten even rounder — to have an outsize, aggressive disposition, rather like that of his TV costar Roseanne Barr. Instead, Goodman is miraculously genial. In King Ralph, he plays a Las Vegas lounge singer who becomes the king of England when the entire royal family is killed in a freak accident. (Though American, he’s the closest blood relative they can find.) All of a sudden, he’s in pig heaven. The movie is an eminently forgettable string of bull-in-a-china-shop gags: Ralph hits a homer with his cricket bat, he sits in the royal bath wearing his Imperial margarine crown and scarfing Milk Duds, he does a genuinely rousing rendition of ”Good Golly Miss Molly” during a dignified ball. Like Kindergarten Cop, this is a high-concept comedy in which the gags seem to have been designed primarily for use in the movie’s trailer. Comedy — that is to say, show-stopping, rib-tickling comedy — is based on surprise, and there isn’t a single gag here that pushes the envelope. Goodman, though, is such an ingratiating performer that you coast through the movie right along with him.
King Ralph John Goodman's wry charm has something to do with the fact that his personality is so much smaller than his body. You'd expect a man who's this huge...King RalphComedyPG John Goodman's wry charm has something to do with the fact that his personality is so much smaller than his body. You'd expect a man who's this huge...1991-03-01MCA/Universal Home Video
Genre: Comedy; Starring: John Goodman, Peter O'Toole; Director: David S. Ward; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MCA/Universal Home Video
Posted March 1 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Melissa McCarthy and Paul Feig get batty in 'Spy' Blu-ray clip
- Ellen Pompeo: 'Grey's Anatomy' doesn't need McDreamy
- Tom Hardy brought his dog to the premiere of 'Legend'
- Just how well do you know 'Xena: Warrior Princess'?
- A-trak looks back on Fool's Gold Day Off's 5th birthday
- Jimmy Kimmel makes peace with gamers after week-long feud
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!