Fifteen years ago, when spandex-clad rockers and safety-pin-pierced punkers were vying for attention, Motörhead — led by singer/bassist Lemmy, the godfather of thrash metal — was creating music that not only combined the two sounds but defiantly sidestepped all the trends. Unfortunately, bad record deals, legal hassles, and shifts in membership kept the group’s popularity on a purely underground level. That troubled history makes 1916 a musical and a personal triumph for the British quartet. With major-label backing, Motörhead has not only honed its crash-and-burn attitude on raucous tracks like ”I’m So Bad” and ”Make My Day” but transcends the form by delving into new musical territory without losing its grit. ”No Voices in the Sky,” for example, takes a pop-like hook and gleefully rubs it in the dirt, while ”Nightmare/The Dreamtime” creeps darkly through a thick, electronic fog. But the true highlight of this album is its title track, inspired by Lemmy’s longtime fascination with military history. His ageless, world-weary voice gruffly rasps a folk-like tune over drums and synthesizers. This tale of WWI’s 1916 Battle of the Somme is one of the most moving songs any metal band has ever done and is guaranteed to bring a lump to anyone’s throat. Unlike many of their imitators, Motörhead’s true soul shows through their torn denim. A+
1916Fifteen years ago, when spandex-clad rockers and safety-pin-pierced punkers were vying for attention, Motörhead — led by singer/bassist Lemmy,...1916MetalFifteen years ago, when spandex-clad rockers and safety-pin-pierced punkers were vying for attention, Motörhead — led by singer/bassist Lemmy,...1991-03-08
Genre: Metal; Producer (group): Sony Music, WTG
Posted March 8 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!