Fifteen years ago, when spandex-clad rockers and safety-pin-pierced punkers were vying for attention, Motörhead — led by singer/bassist Lemmy, the godfather of thrash metal — was creating music that not only combined the two sounds but defiantly sidestepped all the trends. Unfortunately, bad record deals, legal hassles, and shifts in membership kept the group’s popularity on a purely underground level. That troubled history makes 1916 a musical and a personal triumph for the British quartet. With major-label backing, Motörhead has not only honed its crash-and-burn attitude on raucous tracks like ”I’m So Bad” and ”Make My Day” but transcends the form by delving into new musical territory without losing its grit. ”No Voices in the Sky,” for example, takes a pop-like hook and gleefully rubs it in the dirt, while ”Nightmare/The Dreamtime” creeps darkly through a thick, electronic fog. But the true highlight of this album is its title track, inspired by Lemmy’s longtime fascination with military history. His ageless, world-weary voice gruffly rasps a folk-like tune over drums and synthesizers. This tale of WWI’s 1916 Battle of the Somme is one of the most moving songs any metal band has ever done and is guaranteed to bring a lump to anyone’s throat. Unlike many of their imitators, Motörhead’s true soul shows through their torn denim. A+
1916Fifteen years ago, when spandex-clad rockers and safety-pin-pierced punkers were vying for attention, Motörhead — led by singer/bassist Lemmy,...1916MetalFifteen years ago, when spandex-clad rockers and safety-pin-pierced punkers were vying for attention, Motörhead — led by singer/bassist Lemmy,...1991-03-08
Genre: Metal; Producer (group): Sony Music, WTG
Posted March 8 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- Cary Fukunaga leaves Stephen King adaptation 'It,' production indefinitely delayed
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!