With its song defending the use of sampling, its deft Prince Paul production, and its rap/doo-wop ballad, Stetsasonic’s 1988 album In Full Gear was more adventurous than your typical hip-hop record. It may not have been entirely successful, but the band was still finding its voice. On the heels of that release, the members of the group, particularly head rapper Daddy-O, seem to be taking themselves a bit too seriously as rap visionaries. The liner notes for this belated follow-up claim Stet is ”the one and only Hip Hop Band” — ”band” refers to their use of real drums, instead of drum machines — ”and the future of soul music.” Soul bands ought to have consistent grooves and good songs, though, and Blood, Sweat & No Tears doesn’t have much of either; it’s a concept album in search of a concept. Daddy-O hits all the politically correct topics — against the Klan and black-on-black violence, for South African liberation — without adding new insights (unless an offensive, lamebrained reference to ”faggot M.C.s” represents a new way of thinking). The music is pieced together well enough but still scattershot — solid if not innovative beats in one place, an L.L. Cool J-like ballad (”Walkin’ in the Rain”) in another, a novelty throwaway or a stark beat somewhere else. Blood, Sweat & No Tears may be eclectic, but so are dozens of other forgettable pop records.
Blood, Sweat & No Tears With its song defending the use of sampling, its deft Prince Paul production, and its rap/doo-wop ballad, Stetsasonic's 1988 album In Full Gear...Blood, Sweat & No TearsHip-Hop/Rap With its song defending the use of sampling, its deft Prince Paul production, and its rap/doo-wop ballad, Stetsasonic's 1988 album In Full Gear...1991-03-08
Posted March 8 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!