With its song defending the use of sampling, its deft Prince Paul production, and its rap/doo-wop ballad, Stetsasonic’s 1988 album In Full Gear was more adventurous than your typical hip-hop record. It may not have been entirely successful, but the band was still finding its voice. On the heels of that release, the members of the group, particularly head rapper Daddy-O, seem to be taking themselves a bit too seriously as rap visionaries. The liner notes for this belated follow-up claim Stet is ”the one and only Hip Hop Band” — ”band” refers to their use of real drums, instead of drum machines — ”and the future of soul music.” Soul bands ought to have consistent grooves and good songs, though, and Blood, Sweat & No Tears doesn’t have much of either; it’s a concept album in search of a concept. Daddy-O hits all the politically correct topics — against the Klan and black-on-black violence, for South African liberation — without adding new insights (unless an offensive, lamebrained reference to ”faggot M.C.s” represents a new way of thinking). The music is pieced together well enough but still scattershot — solid if not innovative beats in one place, an L.L. Cool J-like ballad (”Walkin’ in the Rain”) in another, a novelty throwaway or a stark beat somewhere else. Blood, Sweat & No Tears may be eclectic, but so are dozens of other forgettable pop records.
Blood, Sweat & No Tears With its song defending the use of sampling, its deft Prince Paul production, and its rap/doo-wop ballad, Stetsasonic's 1988 album In Full Gear...Blood, Sweat & No TearsHip-Hop/Rap With its song defending the use of sampling, its deft Prince Paul production, and its rap/doo-wop ballad, Stetsasonic's 1988 album In Full Gear...1991-03-08
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Last Man on Earth': Will Forte on THAT season finale twist
- 'Game of Thrones' actor explains his surprisingly early exit
- 'Suicide Squad': First Look at rogues' gallery in costume
- 'Game of Thrones': Carice van Houten on nudity, Jon Snow
- 'Star Wars': 'Force Awakens' toys in Sept.
- J.K. Rowling sorry for a 'Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!