Singer-guitarist Vince Gill earned his stripes with a variety of bluegrass and country-rock outfits, notably Pure Prairie League and Ricky Skaggs’ Boone Creek, before going out on his own in 1984. For far too long, though, Gill looked like a poor man’s Rodney Crowell, his obvious hero, whom he emulated in almost every way. Then came last year’s ”When I Call Your Name,” a duet with Patty Loveless that combined honky-tonk angst with a killer chorus in the high-lonesome bluegrass style. That single, from an album of the same title, showed Gill finally finding his own way. It also made him a star, earning both a Country Music Association award, and, two weeks ago, a Grammy. On this new album, Pocket Full of Gold, Gill again plies his considerable vocal and instrumental skills, and Loveless, whose rough-edged tones tend to keep Gill’s choirboy sweetness in check, returns for harmony vocals. But, alas, Gill’s lyrics never go beyond the surface. From the infectious dance rhythm of ”Liza Jane” to the upbeat ballad ”If I Didn’t Have You,” his songs seem more like fuzzy images than focused pictures, more mood and groove than substance.
Pocket Full of Gold Singer-guitarist Vince Gill earned his stripes with a variety of bluegrass and country-rock outfits, notably Pure Prairie League and Ricky Skaggs' Boone...Pocket Full of GoldCountry Singer-guitarist Vince Gill earned his stripes with a variety of bluegrass and country-rock outfits, notably Pure Prairie League and Ricky Skaggs' Boone...1991-03-08
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Vince Gill
Posted March 8 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- Ronda Rousey pays tribute to ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper
- British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies at 72
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!