Just how many TV characters are members of the class of ‘74? In a recent episode of Fox’s The Simpsons, viewers learned that Homer, now a bald and potbellied father of three, met his future wife, bra-burning Marge Bouvier (no apparent relation to Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis), just weeks before their graduation in 1974 from Springfield High. Was the episode a peek ahead at a 1996 edition of The Wonder Years? By then the ABC sitcom’s 14-year-old hero, Kevin Arnold (Fred Savage), and his tender flame, Winnie Cooper (Danica McKellar) — who are currently struggling through ninth grade — will have reached their own 1974 graduation. Making the perhaps dangerous assumption that doltish Homer was never held back a grade, all these characters are today about 34 years old. Could Kevin and Winnie possibly grow up to be Homer and Marge? Or are they those other domestic paragons, Michael and Hope of thirtysomething?
Posted March 8 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!