Mica Paris Contribution (Island; all formats; 68) The music of Mica Paris works better when you don’t listen too closely. It’s background music best suited to those moments when you’re all primed to jump someone’s bones. Like Paris’ 1988 debut, her latest creation, Contribution, is an over-perfumed assortment of sensually paced funk-soul numbers, feminized even further by its smooth adult-pop production. True, the album makes a sharper impression than the 22- year-old British singer’s first (a hit in her own country). This time the rhythm section gets far greater play in the mix, stressing the buoyant bass and firm drum programming. Unfortunately, the keyboards and horns — plus the understated way the singer uses her skilled and flexible voice — put a dull sheen on everything. It doesn’t help that the material is so routine. Even a number specifically written for Paris by Prince (”If I Love U 2 Nite”) sounds rote. Producers Andres Levin and Camus Mare Celli try to spice things up with a cameo from rapper Rakim on one number and some keyboard effects from hip-hopper Mantronik on another, but the result is as incongruous as matching downtown accessories to an uptown outfit. Played down low, however, such things can be ignored, and the album then finds its rightful place: in the boudoir.
Contribution Mica Paris Contribution (Island; all formats; 68) The music of Mica Paris works better when you don't listen too closely. It's background music best...ContributionPop Mica Paris Contribution (Island; all formats; 68) The music of Mica Paris works better when you don't listen too closely. It's background music best...1991-03-15
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Mica Paris; Status: In Season
Posted March 15 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!