Great White is a grown-up hard-rock band. That’s not to say that its music is entirely for adults — it wouldn’t be rock & roll if it were. Nor does it mean the band’s members act particularly grown-up. Singer Jack Russell’s notorious hard-living, two-fisted antics are a testament to that. Great White’s emerging maturity is found in its growing reliance on a polished, mid-tempo sound and the rough ‘n’ tumble tales of bad romance found on such tunes as ”The Original Queen of Sheba” and ”Heartbreaker.” And only a band that’s been around the block a few times would be brave enough to wear its heart on its sleeve, as the quintet does on the pretty ballad ”Lovin’ Kind.” The only problem on Hooked is that Great White never cuts loose — the group hints at it on ”Call It Rock n’ Roll” and comes close on ”Desert Moon,” but never quite goes over the top. These guys can do it, too — the tension on Hooked constantly threatens to explode. It’s great to have songs that’ll be headed for radio play — Great White has a knack for that — but it’s no excuse for them to keep their true grit under lock and key. B
Hooked Great White is a grown-up hard-rock band. That's not to say that its music is entirely for adults — it wouldn't be rock & roll if it were. Nor...HookedRock Great White is a grown-up hard-rock band. That's not to say that its music is entirely for adults — it wouldn't be rock & roll if it were. Nor...1991-03-15
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Great White
Posted March 15 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Ryan Reynolds give Conan O’Brien a massage as Deadpool (with panda tears)
- Kevin Bacon campaigns for more male nudity in Hollywood in mock PSA
- See the red band trailer for Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool'
- 'Playing House' season 2 premiere react: Did you find the BFFs' return 'totes kewl'?
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'