The Chicago-based trio Material Issue echoes a time when boys’ lives were simple. Back in the mythical ’50s, a boy only had to think about three things: winning a girl’s hand, keeping it, and then moping around after he lost it (though maybe he’d think about cars, too). Of course, such a problem-free time never really existed, but don’t tell that to Material Issue. Their big-label debut album, International Pop Overthrow, which follows three years’ worth of independent releases, is pure dance-inducing pop. Most of the bouncy, guitar-jangled songs revolve around youthful romance and unashamedly wear titles like ”Renee Remains the Same” and ”Li’l Christine.” In the first single, ”Valerie Loves Me,” a tale of unrequited love, lead singer and guitarist Jim Ellison pines away for an unattainable older girl and tries to convince us (and himself, too) that it’s a shame she’s not with him; he sings longingly that he’d give his whole life to her. Such sugary angst could seem just a little too sweet, but with a war just ended in the gulf and a recession just beginning at home, Material Issue’s carefree exuberance is a welcome relief.
International Pop Overthrow The Chicago-based trio Material Issue echoes a time when boys' lives were simple. Back in the mythical '50s, a boy only had to think about three...International Pop OverthrowPop The Chicago-based trio Material Issue echoes a time when boys' lives were simple. Back in the mythical '50s, a boy only had to think about three...1991-03-15
Posted March 15 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!