It’s music made for designer-jeans commercials, full of up-tempo beats, squeaky vocals, sappy pop hooks, and pat production. But this is no quickie jingle. Spillin’ the Beans is the third full-length solo project by deejay-turned-producer-songwriter-singer (and, in a brief and inconsequential song, even a rapper) John ”Jellybean” Benitez. He may not be the only locally famous New York club deejay now fronting his own recording act, but he’s the most visible. After all, he’s greatly publicized his mid-’80s liaison with Madonna; his is one of many trendy faces who have lately graced ads for the Gap; and Atlantic Records has dumped a small fortune on his debut on their label. But his flimsy dance tracks are proof that pomp can only go so far. Most of the LP sounds like reject Madonna material; he even took one of her backup singers, Niki Haris, who’s featured here along with other bland vocal debutantes. Perhaps Jellybean uses unimpressive singers so as not to upstage his own lame singing. And his production work is wimpy too. If you must, buy the CD version for two bonus remixes by famed house deejay Tony Humphries that manage to salvage this bag of punchless tracks. C+
Spillin' the Beans It's music made for designer-jeans commercials, full of up-tempo beats, squeaky vocals, sappy pop hooks, and pat production. But this is no quickie...Spillin' the BeansPop It's music made for designer-jeans commercials, full of up-tempo beats, squeaky vocals, sappy pop hooks, and pat production. But this is no quickie...1991-03-15
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Jellybean Benitez
Posted March 15 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!