It’s music made for designer-jeans commercials, full of up-tempo beats, squeaky vocals, sappy pop hooks, and pat production. But this is no quickie jingle. Spillin’ the Beans is the third full-length solo project by deejay-turned-producer-songwriter-singer (and, in a brief and inconsequential song, even a rapper) John ”Jellybean” Benitez. He may not be the only locally famous New York club deejay now fronting his own recording act, but he’s the most visible. After all, he’s greatly publicized his mid-’80s liaison with Madonna; his is one of many trendy faces who have lately graced ads for the Gap; and Atlantic Records has dumped a small fortune on his debut on their label. But his flimsy dance tracks are proof that pomp can only go so far. Most of the LP sounds like reject Madonna material; he even took one of her backup singers, Niki Haris, who’s featured here along with other bland vocal debutantes. Perhaps Jellybean uses unimpressive singers so as not to upstage his own lame singing. And his production work is wimpy too. If you must, buy the CD version for two bonus remixes by famed house deejay Tony Humphries that manage to salvage this bag of punchless tracks. C+
Spillin' the Beans It's music made for designer-jeans commercials, full of up-tempo beats, squeaky vocals, sappy pop hooks, and pat production. But this is no quickie...Spillin' the BeansPop It's music made for designer-jeans commercials, full of up-tempo beats, squeaky vocals, sappy pop hooks, and pat production. But this is no quickie...1991-03-15
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Jellybean Benitez
Posted March 15 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!