Clear-voiced Gail Davies hasn’t had many hits, but she’s been a favorite of folks who like their country music on the cerebral side — and of those who appreciate a somewhat feminist approach to a country career, since Davies was one of Nashville’s first women to insist on producing her own records. The Best of Gail Davies is a collection of her best-loved material (”Grandma’s Song,” ”Unwed Fathers”), newly recorded for her current label, which spans only her early period, from 1976 to ‘84. And while the new arrangements sometimes seem hurried, pushed, and synthetic-the brass section comes from a Fairlight synthesizer — songs like ”You’re a Hard Dog to Keep Under the Porch” prove that Davies was at her best when she was feisty. The conservative country audience hasn’t totally embraced such a take-charge aggressive female, but as this collection shows, it was clearly their loss.
The Best of Gail Davies Clear-voiced Gail Davies hasn't had many hits, but she's been a favorite of folks who like their country music on the cerebral side — and of...The Best of Gail DaviesCountry Clear-voiced Gail Davies hasn't had many hits, but she's been a favorite of folks who like their country music on the cerebral side — and of...1991-03-22
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Gail Davies
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mr. Bean's 25th anniversary marked outside Buckingham Palace
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- 'Big Brother': James explains why he trashed the house during the veto competition
- Michelle Obama wished Beyoncé a happy birthday on Twitter
- Jason Biggs' son picked book perfect for his 'American Pie' past
- 'Big Brother': Meg on her biggest mistake and that drunken night with Clay
- Pink says she has no issue with Demi Lovato after critical VMAs comments
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!