Clear-voiced Gail Davies hasn’t had many hits, but she’s been a favorite of folks who like their country music on the cerebral side — and of those who appreciate a somewhat feminist approach to a country career, since Davies was one of Nashville’s first women to insist on producing her own records. The Best of Gail Davies is a collection of her best-loved material (”Grandma’s Song,” ”Unwed Fathers”), newly recorded for her current label, which spans only her early period, from 1976 to ‘84. And while the new arrangements sometimes seem hurried, pushed, and synthetic-the brass section comes from a Fairlight synthesizer — songs like ”You’re a Hard Dog to Keep Under the Porch” prove that Davies was at her best when she was feisty. The conservative country audience hasn’t totally embraced such a take-charge aggressive female, but as this collection shows, it was clearly their loss.
The Best of Gail Davies Clear-voiced Gail Davies hasn't had many hits, but she's been a favorite of folks who like their country music on the cerebral side — and of...The Best of Gail DaviesCountry Clear-voiced Gail Davies hasn't had many hits, but she's been a favorite of folks who like their country music on the cerebral side — and of...1991-03-22
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Gail Davies
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Flash' trailer promises 'Arrow' crossovers, Reverse Flash showdown
- David Letterman slams Indiana governor on 'Late Show'
- How Jamie Dornan prepared to play a serial killer on 'The Fall'
- 'Broadchurch' exclusive clip: The barristers have words
- Watch 'Barely Famous' stars Sara and Erin Foster pitch their series to the Kardashians and more
- Why Paige from 'The Americans' is TV's most progressive Christian
- 'Orphan Black' teaser promises clone-on-clone war
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!