The best place a star can be Monday night is onstage accepting a gold statuette. But the next best place is at Irving Paul ”Swifty” Lazar’s 25th annual party, to be held as usual in the famed Spago restaurant. Around L.A., the literary agent’s bash is often referred to as The Party. Swifty is more humble. ”It’s just a party, nothing really special,” he says. Among his regular pizza-munching guests: Paul Newman, Angie Dickinson, Jimmy Stewart, Bette Midler, Michael Caine, and Jack Nicholson. (A charity benefit for Central American refugees attracts younger, hipper stars, like Paula Abdul and Jodie Foster, and has been giving Swifty fair competition.) ”It’s a hoot,” says Newman, who so enjoys Swifty’s shindig that in 1988 he departed in mid-festivities to present Cher with a Best Actress Oscar for Moonstruck then threaded his way back through heavy traffic to finish out the night. ”It’s intimidating,” says Dickinson, ”because so many important people just sort of sprout for this party who don’t usually come out for social events.” Years ago, Swifty’s affair was, in Dickinson’s words: ”a free-for-all.” Not anymore. ”Now he sits everyone down during the show so we can watch the damn thing,” she says.
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!