Fresh on the heels of Soul II Soul’s down-tempo beats, Lisa Stansfield’s ’90s brand of Philly Soul, and Maxi Priest’s Jamaican-sounding love songs comes Londonbeat. This U.K. soul group looks to Motown for inspiration. With their first U.S. album, In the Blood, the vocal trio has brought a modern edge to the classic harmonies and raw rhythms of the Temptations and the Isley Brothers . Their debut single, ”I’ve Been Thinking About You,” with its hypnotically catchy chorus, sweet harmonies, and slow, rollicking beat, has hit No. 1 in 12 countries and gotten airplay here even while it was available only as an import. Londonbeat consists of former session singer Jimmy Chambers and two former solo artists — George Chandler and Helmsey (joined by multi-instrumentalist Willy M) — who shine as a vocal unit, taking you from mellow harmonies to gospely wails. In the Blood is a fiery package of all-new material (except for a stunning cover of Bob Marley’s ”No Woman No Cry”). Encouraged by Eurythmic Dave Stewart (who signed them to their first record contract), Londonbeat and producer Martyn Phillips have perfectly balanced the emotional intensity of late-’60s soul with the funky beats of ’90s dance clubs. Check out the foot-stomping ”She Broke My Heart (in 36 Places),” inspired by Edwin Starr’s ”Twenty-Five Miles”; the churning ”It’s in the Blood”; and the exuberant ”She Said She Loves Me.” Londonbeat’s powerful dance rhythms and soulful blues songs recapture the long-lost spirit of early R&B. A-
In the BloodFresh on the heels of Soul II Soul's down-tempo beats, Lisa Stansfield's '90s brand of Philly Soul, and Maxi Priest's Jamaican-sounding love songs comes...In the BloodR&BFresh on the heels of Soul II Soul's down-tempo beats, Lisa Stansfield's '90s brand of Philly Soul, and Maxi Priest's Jamaican-sounding love songs comes...1991-03-22
Genre: R&B; Producer (group): Radioactive
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- President Obama talks 'The Wire' with creator David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers won't return; Academy to search for new showrunners
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!