Fresh on the heels of Soul II Soul’s down-tempo beats, Lisa Stansfield’s ’90s brand of Philly Soul, and Maxi Priest’s Jamaican-sounding love songs comes Londonbeat. This U.K. soul group looks to Motown for inspiration. With their first U.S. album, In the Blood, the vocal trio has brought a modern edge to the classic harmonies and raw rhythms of the Temptations and the Isley Brothers . Their debut single, ”I’ve Been Thinking About You,” with its hypnotically catchy chorus, sweet harmonies, and slow, rollicking beat, has hit No. 1 in 12 countries and gotten airplay here even while it was available only as an import. Londonbeat consists of former session singer Jimmy Chambers and two former solo artists — George Chandler and Helmsey (joined by multi-instrumentalist Willy M) — who shine as a vocal unit, taking you from mellow harmonies to gospely wails. In the Blood is a fiery package of all-new material (except for a stunning cover of Bob Marley’s ”No Woman No Cry”). Encouraged by Eurythmic Dave Stewart (who signed them to their first record contract), Londonbeat and producer Martyn Phillips have perfectly balanced the emotional intensity of late-’60s soul with the funky beats of ’90s dance clubs. Check out the foot-stomping ”She Broke My Heart (in 36 Places),” inspired by Edwin Starr’s ”Twenty-Five Miles”; the churning ”It’s in the Blood”; and the exuberant ”She Said She Loves Me.” Londonbeat’s powerful dance rhythms and soulful blues songs recapture the long-lost spirit of early R&B. A-
In the BloodFresh on the heels of Soul II Soul's down-tempo beats, Lisa Stansfield's '90s brand of Philly Soul, and Maxi Priest's Jamaican-sounding love songs comes...In the BloodR&BFresh on the heels of Soul II Soul's down-tempo beats, Lisa Stansfield's '90s brand of Philly Soul, and Maxi Priest's Jamaican-sounding love songs comes...1991-03-22
Genre: R&B; Producer (group): Radioactive
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- This is what it was like when Andrew Garfield worked at Starbucks
- Disclosure go behind the scenes of 'Caracal' and collabs with Sam Smith, Lorde
- See Melissa McCarthy and Paul Feig get batty in 'Spy' Blu-ray clip
- Ellen Pompeo: 'Grey's Anatomy' doesn't need McDreamy
- Tom Hardy brought his dog to the premiere of 'Legend'
- Just how well do you know 'Xena: Warrior Princess'?
- A-trak looks back on Fool's Gold Day Off's 5th birthday
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!