In 1989, N.W.A. (Niggas With Attitude) flashed the label nigga like a racial firearm. Now meet the Bytches With Problems. They’re black, they’re mad — and they’re women. Men beware: Kicking hard beats and rapping with venom over catchy ’70s funk samples, these girls try to nail all the guys who have done them wrong. Sure, there’s a lot of gratuitous sex and violence, but no more so than in anything by Ice Cube, a former member of N.W.A. who set the rap world on fire last year with his solo album, Amerikkka’s Most Wanted. Still, their own record company had to announce it had censored the material. Such foul language from the mouths of women is apparently still taboo, even in rap. With their music slightly edited, the Bytches still pose a threat. They tear apart male society, talk about sex graphically from a woman’s point of view, and spell out fantasies in which they get back at cheating boyfriends or, in a song called ”Two Minute Brother,” mock not-so-potent lovers. Few inner-city women talk as bluntly, and I bet women everywhere — deep down — know exactly what the Bytches are talking about. B
The Bytches In 1989, N.W.A. (Niggas With Attitude) flashed the label nigga like a racial firearm. Now meet the Bytches With Problems....The BytchesHip-Hop/Rap In 1989, N.W.A. (Niggas With Attitude) flashed the label nigga like a racial firearm. Now meet the Bytches With Problems....1991-03-22
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Producer (group): No Face, RAL; Status: In Season
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock: A tribute to the humane spirit
- 'McFarland, USA' and the neutering of sports movies
- Leonard Nimoy: 9 'I Am Not Spock' TV roles
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?