If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush’s ”kinder, gentler nation” line: ”Is this my good fortune?/I’m finally in luck,” sings Gretchen Phillips. ”Now what I receive is a kinder and gentler f—.” The Girls — there are actually four of them, and part of the point is that they’re not always nice — sing songs about feminism and lesbianism, most of them sensitive enough not to be alienating if you’re not already a convert. The girls are basically folkies, but are willing and able to rock out. Chloe Liked Olivia is pristinely produced and occasionally startling: ”Throw It All Away,” by bassist Meg Hentges, has a lovely chorus and is sung by her in a rich, burnished voice. But not everything gels. Despite the rock & roll and more bawdiness (”The Queer Song,” a lusty rewrite of Buddy Holly’s ”Not Fade Away”), there are long spots of lethargy. But occasionally the foursome gets into a jazzy laid-back groove; it turns out that besides polemics and humor, Two Nice Girls can display some soul as well. B-
Chloe Liked Olivia If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush's ''kinder, gentler nation'' line:...Chloe Liked OliviaRock If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush's ''kinder, gentler nation'' line:...1991-03-22
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Rough Trade
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jack White's Dead Weather returns with new album
- Henry Cavill: ‘Batman v Superman' an 'expansion' of 'Man of Steel' world
- Inside Amazon's edgy romantic comedy 'Catastrophe'
- Chris Tucker's Netflix stand-up special: Watch new trailer
- 'Legend of Korra' creator previews new 'Threadworlds'
- Patton Oswalt, Paul Reubens and more star in Telltale Games' 'Minecraft: Story Mode'
- Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher married
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!