If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush’s ”kinder, gentler nation” line: ”Is this my good fortune?/I’m finally in luck,” sings Gretchen Phillips. ”Now what I receive is a kinder and gentler f—.” The Girls — there are actually four of them, and part of the point is that they’re not always nice — sing songs about feminism and lesbianism, most of them sensitive enough not to be alienating if you’re not already a convert. The girls are basically folkies, but are willing and able to rock out. Chloe Liked Olivia is pristinely produced and occasionally startling: ”Throw It All Away,” by bassist Meg Hentges, has a lovely chorus and is sung by her in a rich, burnished voice. But not everything gels. Despite the rock & roll and more bawdiness (”The Queer Song,” a lusty rewrite of Buddy Holly’s ”Not Fade Away”), there are long spots of lethargy. But occasionally the foursome gets into a jazzy laid-back groove; it turns out that besides polemics and humor, Two Nice Girls can display some soul as well. B-
Chloe Liked Olivia If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush's ''kinder, gentler nation'' line:...Chloe Liked OliviaRock If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush's ''kinder, gentler nation'' line:...1991-03-22
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Rough Trade
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Once Upon a Time' reveals what happened to Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards 2015: And the winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!