If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush’s ”kinder, gentler nation” line: ”Is this my good fortune?/I’m finally in luck,” sings Gretchen Phillips. ”Now what I receive is a kinder and gentler f—.” The Girls — there are actually four of them, and part of the point is that they’re not always nice — sing songs about feminism and lesbianism, most of them sensitive enough not to be alienating if you’re not already a convert. The girls are basically folkies, but are willing and able to rock out. Chloe Liked Olivia is pristinely produced and occasionally startling: ”Throw It All Away,” by bassist Meg Hentges, has a lovely chorus and is sung by her in a rich, burnished voice. But not everything gels. Despite the rock & roll and more bawdiness (”The Queer Song,” a lusty rewrite of Buddy Holly’s ”Not Fade Away”), there are long spots of lethargy. But occasionally the foursome gets into a jazzy laid-back groove; it turns out that besides polemics and humor, Two Nice Girls can display some soul as well. B-
Chloe Liked Olivia If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush's ''kinder, gentler nation'' line:...Chloe Liked OliviaRock If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush's ''kinder, gentler nation'' line:...1991-03-22
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Rough Trade
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Longmire' is back: See the season 4 trailer
- Chris Christie on Donald Trump: 'Life is a strange ride'
- Proof Kanye West & Donald Trump have a lot in common
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!