If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush’s ”kinder, gentler nation” line: ”Is this my good fortune?/I’m finally in luck,” sings Gretchen Phillips. ”Now what I receive is a kinder and gentler f—.” The Girls — there are actually four of them, and part of the point is that they’re not always nice — sing songs about feminism and lesbianism, most of them sensitive enough not to be alienating if you’re not already a convert. The girls are basically folkies, but are willing and able to rock out. Chloe Liked Olivia is pristinely produced and occasionally startling: ”Throw It All Away,” by bassist Meg Hentges, has a lovely chorus and is sung by her in a rich, burnished voice. But not everything gels. Despite the rock & roll and more bawdiness (”The Queer Song,” a lusty rewrite of Buddy Holly’s ”Not Fade Away”), there are long spots of lethargy. But occasionally the foursome gets into a jazzy laid-back groove; it turns out that besides polemics and humor, Two Nice Girls can display some soul as well. B-
Chloe Liked Olivia If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush's ''kinder, gentler nation'' line:...Chloe Liked OliviaRock If nothing else, Two Nice Girls have provided us with the ultimate (and, it is hoped, final) variant of George Bush's ''kinder, gentler nation'' line:...1991-03-22
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Rough Trade
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!