Tanita Tikaram’s voice is incredibly arresting — for five minutes. On first listen, her world-weary alto suggests enough regret to give it the full appeal of a late-winter sunset. On second listen you’ll be the one full of regret. She sings every song in precisely the same way, exhaling into repetitive huffs of disillusionment. You could lift almost any vocal from any of her three albums, plop it into another song, and no one would be the wiser. The sole new twist on her latest record, Everybody’s Angel, is that she now makes her debt to Van Morrison more obvious. From the poignant horn punctuations to the chaste female backup vocals in tracks like ”Deliver Me” or ”Me in Mind,” Tikaram has stolen Morrison’s Celtic soul, though her melodies aren’t nearly as well formed as his. By necessity, one assumes, most are kept within the singer’s narrow-as-a-needle’s-eye vocal range. No wonder it now seems as if almost everything she had to say was said in her initial 1989 hit, ”Twist in My Sobriety” (a track so haunting it even survived a cover by Liza Minnelli). Tikaram’s vocal tone in that song was full of mourning. Now it just seems deadly.
Everybody's Angel Tanita Tikaram's voice is incredibly arresting — for five minutes. On first listen, her world-weary alto suggests enough regret to give it the...Everybody's AngelPop Tanita Tikaram's voice is incredibly arresting — for five minutes. On first listen, her world-weary alto suggests enough regret to give it the...1991-03-22
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Tanita Tikaram
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- 'Tomorrowland' leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!