Set during the feudal wars of the 16th century, Heaven and Earth is a lavishly dull Japanese period spectacle plays like an ersatz Kurosawa movie. Director Haruki Kadokawa comes up with a reasonably accomplished visual facsimile of the master’s 1980 Kagemusha — color-coordinated warriors, amassed by the thousands, galloping in grand formation, the violence of their clashes somehow subsumed by the eye-popping beauty of ritualized battle. Slathered over the images is a soundtrack of mournful-majestic Japanese synth-pop. In Kagemusha, Kurosawa understood that the notion of war as visual pageantry was deeply ironic. Kadokawa, on the other hand, just seems to like the pretty colors. His story is about two rival clan leaders: Takeda (Tsugawa), who wants only power, and Kagetora (Enoki), a young idealist seeking freedom for his people. As the movie portrays it, though, there’s virtually no difference between the two men. When they finally meet in a duel, the moment has little dramatic weight; the film’s climax has more to do with how many ravishingly costumed extras Kadokawa can cram into a single shot.
Heaven and Earth Set during the feudal wars of the 16th century, Heaven and Earth is a lavishly dull Japanese period spectacle plays like an ersatz...Heaven and EarthDrama, Historical, Action/Adventure, Foreign Language, WarPG-13 Set during the feudal wars of the 16th century, Heaven and Earth is a lavishly dull Japanese period spectacle plays like an ersatz...1991-03-22
Genre: Drama, Historical, Action/Adventure, Foreign Language, War; Starring: Masahiko Tsugawa, Takaaki Enoki; Director: Haruki Kadokawa; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Dave Grohl responds in Italian to 1,000 fans who covered ‘Learn to Fly’
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First trailer for 'Zoolander 2' asks one big existential question
- Valerie Harper replaced in play after hospital stay
- NFL legend Jerry Rice heads to 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!