Set during the feudal wars of the 16th century, Heaven and Earth is a lavishly dull Japanese period spectacle plays like an ersatz Kurosawa movie. Director Haruki Kadokawa comes up with a reasonably accomplished visual facsimile of the master’s 1980 Kagemusha — color-coordinated warriors, amassed by the thousands, galloping in grand formation, the violence of their clashes somehow subsumed by the eye-popping beauty of ritualized battle. Slathered over the images is a soundtrack of mournful-majestic Japanese synth-pop. In Kagemusha, Kurosawa understood that the notion of war as visual pageantry was deeply ironic. Kadokawa, on the other hand, just seems to like the pretty colors. His story is about two rival clan leaders: Takeda (Tsugawa), who wants only power, and Kagetora (Enoki), a young idealist seeking freedom for his people. As the movie portrays it, though, there’s virtually no difference between the two men. When they finally meet in a duel, the moment has little dramatic weight; the film’s climax has more to do with how many ravishingly costumed extras Kadokawa can cram into a single shot.
Heaven and Earth Set during the feudal wars of the 16th century, Heaven and Earth is a lavishly dull Japanese period spectacle plays like an ersatz...Heaven and EarthDrama, Historical, Action/Adventure, Foreign Language, WarPG-13 Set during the feudal wars of the 16th century, Heaven and Earth is a lavishly dull Japanese period spectacle plays like an ersatz...1991-03-22
Genre: Drama, Historical, Action/Adventure, Foreign Language, War; Starring: Masahiko Tsugawa, Takaaki Enoki; Director: Haruki Kadokawa; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Matt Damon talks about Snowden's influence on 'The Bourne Legacy'
- Michael Shannon channels Donald Trump in exclusive '99 Homes' clip
- What to expect from Justin Bieber's new album
- 'Big Brother' host Julie Chen: 'I'm surprised Austin has lasted this long'
- Here's everyone who is coming to the VMAs on Sunday
- Twitter thinks Taylor Swift will win Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The Oscar race begins: Is 'Carol' the film to beat?
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!