Set during the feudal wars of the 16th century, Heaven and Earth is a lavishly dull Japanese period spectacle plays like an ersatz Kurosawa movie. Director Haruki Kadokawa comes up with a reasonably accomplished visual facsimile of the master’s 1980 Kagemusha — color-coordinated warriors, amassed by the thousands, galloping in grand formation, the violence of their clashes somehow subsumed by the eye-popping beauty of ritualized battle. Slathered over the images is a soundtrack of mournful-majestic Japanese synth-pop. In Kagemusha, Kurosawa understood that the notion of war as visual pageantry was deeply ironic. Kadokawa, on the other hand, just seems to like the pretty colors. His story is about two rival clan leaders: Takeda (Tsugawa), who wants only power, and Kagetora (Enoki), a young idealist seeking freedom for his people. As the movie portrays it, though, there’s virtually no difference between the two men. When they finally meet in a duel, the moment has little dramatic weight; the film’s climax has more to do with how many ravishingly costumed extras Kadokawa can cram into a single shot.
Heaven and Earth Set during the feudal wars of the 16th century, Heaven and Earth is a lavishly dull Japanese period spectacle plays like an ersatz...Heaven and EarthDrama, Historical, Action/Adventure, Foreign Language, WarPG-13 Set during the feudal wars of the 16th century, Heaven and Earth is a lavishly dull Japanese period spectacle plays like an ersatz...1991-03-22
Genre: Drama, Historical, Action/Adventure, Foreign Language, War; Starring: Masahiko Tsugawa, Takaaki Enoki; Director: Haruki Kadokawa; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- Vanessa Bayer shares backstage photos of Jennifer Aniston on 'SNL'
- Box office: 'Moana' tops for second week, Disney sets industry record
- Marvel's 'Luke Cage' renewed for season 2
- Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards: See the list of winners
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big