For most of her early movie career, Lucille Ball got the kind of supporting parts — cynical best friend, the detective’s wisecracking sidekick, that sort of thing — that would otherwise have gone to Eve Arden. In Miss Grant Takes Richmond, however, Ball does a sort of warm-up for I Love Lucy, playing the lead role of a well-meaning but scatterbrained secretary employed as an unwitting front by bookie William Holden. Ball’s occasionally as funny here as she ever was with Desi, and she gets a few brief opportunities for the kinds of pratfalls she milked on the tube — Miss Grant opens, for example, with a lengthy typing-school sequence in which Ball gets (you guessed it) ink all over her face. Looney Tunes gag writer Frank Tashlin had a hand in the screenplay, which could account for the vaguely cartoonish feel of some of it. On the whole, though, Miss Grant Takes Richmond is a predictable and fairly mild farce for die-hard Lucy lovers only.
Miss Grant Takes RichmondFor most of her early movie career, Lucille Ball got the kind of supporting parts — cynical best friend, the detective's wisecracking sidekick, that...Miss Grant Takes RichmondComedyNat Perrin, Frank TashlinUnratedFor most of her early movie career, Lucille Ball got the kind of supporting parts — cynical best friend, the detective's wisecracking sidekick, that...1991-03-22
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Lucille Ball, William Holden; Director: Lloyd Bacon; Author: Nat Perrin, Frank Tashlin; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!