A profoundly moving singer, Ireland’s Maura O’Connell — with her big voice that rings with centuries of Gaelic tradition — can soar from a small romantic whisper to full-throated passion in a single note. She spent a couple of years fronting the Irish traditional group De Danaan before going to Nashville to record solo LPs, all of them hits in her native country. The second was released in America two years ago under the title Helpless Heart. Far closer to folk than country, that album was a collection of acoustic music that, lovely as it was, sounded like a cross between folkabilly singer Nanci Griffith and pop songstress Karla Bonoff, though with an added Irish brogue. This new album, A Real Life Story, is entirely original; it takes a progressive turn toward a fuller, more urban sound, with songs by the likes of John Hiatt (”When We Ran”) and Tom Waits (”Broken Bicycles”). Whether singing of the pain and power of love and loss or addressing political unrest in Ireland (”Guns of Love”), O’Connell proves a marvelous vocal actress. She is a woman who takes no detours to the heart.
A Real Life Story A profoundly moving singer, Ireland's Maura O'Connell — with her big voice that rings with centuries of Gaelic tradition — can soar from a ...A Real Life StoryCountry A profoundly moving singer, Ireland's Maura O'Connell — with her big voice that rings with centuries of Gaelic tradition — can soar from a ...1991-03-22
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Maura O'Connell
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- New 'witch noir' comic 'Black Magick' casts a spell -- exclusive first look
- Ben Affleck on being cast as Batman: 'My first reaction was, 'Are you sure?''
- 'Maze Runner': Dylan O'Brien in new 'Scorch Trials' photo
- 13 reasons why 'Fast & Furious 6' has the greatest barbecue
Shark Week 2015:
Eli Roth previews Shark After Dark
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Agent Carter,' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'You’re the Worst' and more
- Tracy Morgan visits Disney to celebrate daughter's birthday
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!