A profoundly moving singer, Ireland’s Maura O’Connell — with her big voice that rings with centuries of Gaelic tradition — can soar from a small romantic whisper to full-throated passion in a single note. She spent a couple of years fronting the Irish traditional group De Danaan before going to Nashville to record solo LPs, all of them hits in her native country. The second was released in America two years ago under the title Helpless Heart. Far closer to folk than country, that album was a collection of acoustic music that, lovely as it was, sounded like a cross between folkabilly singer Nanci Griffith and pop songstress Karla Bonoff, though with an added Irish brogue. This new album, A Real Life Story, is entirely original; it takes a progressive turn toward a fuller, more urban sound, with songs by the likes of John Hiatt (”When We Ran”) and Tom Waits (”Broken Bicycles”). Whether singing of the pain and power of love and loss or addressing political unrest in Ireland (”Guns of Love”), O’Connell proves a marvelous vocal actress. She is a woman who takes no detours to the heart.
A Real Life Story A profoundly moving singer, Ireland's Maura O'Connell — with her big voice that rings with centuries of Gaelic tradition — can soar from a ...A Real Life StoryCountry A profoundly moving singer, Ireland's Maura O'Connell — with her big voice that rings with centuries of Gaelic tradition — can soar from a ...1991-03-22
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Maura O'Connell
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!