Ah, Julie — those lips, those legs, that hair, that cleavage. Let’s face it, when she recorded her many albums between 1955 and 1967, lots of people bought them for the cheesecake on the cover: her auburn locks flowing down, her legs arching straight up. But the toy in her Cracker Jack box was the fact that she could really sing — if you remember the ’50s, you remember her ”Cry Me a River.” Her voice was small, but hey, that’s why the microphone was invented. Her timbre and phrasing had a candor, a savvy, a twinkle of innocent joy (even on double-entendre baubles, like ”Go Slow,” which would make Tipper Gore blush) that let you know she could probably deconstruct Finnegans Wake — by candlelight and in a shorty nightgown. This Rhino collection is a splendid introduction, complete with cheesecake. But I wish they would identify all the musicians — something the original LPs also failed to do — and I’m surprised they used only one cut from Julie, arguably her best album. Maybe a second volume of Time for Love: The Best of Julie London will follow; I’m ready if she is. A-
Time for Love: The Best of Julie LondonAh, Julie — those lips, those legs, that hair, that cleavage. Let's face it, when she recorded her many albums between 1955 and 1967, lots of...Time for Love: The Best of Julie LondonReissues, PopAh, Julie — those lips, those legs, that hair, that cleavage. Let's face it, when she recorded her many albums between 1955 and 1967, lots of...1991-03-22
Genre: Reissues, Pop; Lead Performer: Julie London
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- 'AHS' star shines in exclusive 'My All American' trailer
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!