Ah, Julie — those lips, those legs, that hair, that cleavage. Let’s face it, when she recorded her many albums between 1955 and 1967, lots of people bought them for the cheesecake on the cover: her auburn locks flowing down, her legs arching straight up. But the toy in her Cracker Jack box was the fact that she could really sing — if you remember the ’50s, you remember her ”Cry Me a River.” Her voice was small, but hey, that’s why the microphone was invented. Her timbre and phrasing had a candor, a savvy, a twinkle of innocent joy (even on double-entendre baubles, like ”Go Slow,” which would make Tipper Gore blush) that let you know she could probably deconstruct Finnegans Wake — by candlelight and in a shorty nightgown. This Rhino collection is a splendid introduction, complete with cheesecake. But I wish they would identify all the musicians — something the original LPs also failed to do — and I’m surprised they used only one cut from Julie, arguably her best album. Maybe a second volume of Time for Love: The Best of Julie London will follow; I’m ready if she is. A-
Time for Love: The Best of Julie LondonAh, Julie — those lips, those legs, that hair, that cleavage. Let's face it, when she recorded her many albums between 1955 and 1967, lots of...Time for Love: The Best of Julie LondonReissues, PopAh, Julie — those lips, those legs, that hair, that cleavage. Let's face it, when she recorded her many albums between 1955 and 1967, lots of...1991-03-22
Genre: Reissues, Pop; Lead Performer: Julie London
Posted March 22 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Paula Deen fires social media manager responsible for offensive tweet
- 'The Lego Movie' directors will pilot a Han Solo stand-alone movie
- Amy Schumer, Aziz Ansari to headline Oddball Comedy Fest
- Sonia Manzano remembers 44 years as Maria on Sesame Street
- Albert Hammond, Jr. says the Strokes don't have new music in the works
- Kaitlyn's Bachelorette blog: Ben would be a 'great husband'
- What's up next for OITNB's Ruby Rose?
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!