Too Much Joy is a surpassingly bratty and smart — almost too smart — power pop foursome from suburban Scarsdale, N.Y. This is their third album; it’s a rollicking, sometimes dizzying amalgam of startling hooks, cheap laughs, high-level rock & roll jokes, clean hits — and just a few misses. ”Crush Story” is the standout, an initially smirking essay on that transient emotional phenomenon known as the crush. But then we hear what Too Much Joy can do: Their singing takes over, their mockery fades, and the track turns out to be a great pop song. The record ends with ”Theme Song,” a very funny ballad about the dangerous rock & roll life, struggling-young-rock-band division, which can get so risky that it even includes sponging off fans. ”To create,” the group proclaims grandiloquently, ”you must destroy.” Neat. Strongly melodic and unflaggingly energetic, Cereal Killers snaps, crackles, and pops.
Cereal Killers Too Much Joy is a surpassingly bratty and smart — almost too smart — power pop foursome from suburban Scarsdale, N.Y. This is their third...Cereal KillersRock Too Much Joy is a surpassingly bratty and smart — almost too smart — power pop foursome from suburban Scarsdale, N.Y. This is their third...1991-03-29
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Giant
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- David Duchovny on 'Late Show': 'X-Files' revival plans return of Walter Skinner and Smoking Man
- Nick Offerman, Megan Mullally cancel Indiana show
- 'The Flash': THAT unmasked man on shocking Reverse Flash twist
- Mark Wahlberg to produce Boston Marathon bombing movie 'Patriots' Day'
- 'American Idol' alum Justin Guarini on how he became Diet Dr. Pepper’s Lil' Sweet
- Scott Weiland on his new album Blaster and the power of David Bowie
- 'Wolf Creek' filmmaker to direct James Gunn-scripted 'The Belco Experiment'
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!