They don’t call Mahlathini the ”Lion of Soweto” for nothing. South Africa’s premier ”groaner” since the late ’50s, Mahlathini (Simon Nkabinde) casts his voice, best described as a wonderful bellow, over stomping riffs of mbaqanga, the township party music that Paul Simon’s Graceland brought to worldwide attention. The three Mahotella Queens (Hilda Tloubatla, Mildred Mangxola, and Nobesuthu Shawe) play sassy hens to Mahlathini’s rooster, undercutting his booming boasts with sweet, knowing harmonies. Timed to coincide with a U.S. tour, these records compile recent great moments. The driving bass, guitar, and sax of the Makgona Tsohle Band propel both The Lion Roars and Marriage Is a Problem, the latter of which finds the Queens both on their own and with other male groaners. Catch the group in concert if you want to know what heaven is; this is just what it sounds like. Both records: A
Marriage Is a Problem They don't call Mahlathini the ''Lion of Soweto'' for nothing. South Africa's premier ''groaner'' since the late '50s, Mahlathini (Simon Nkabinde) ...Marriage Is a ProblemWorld They don't call Mahlathini the ''Lion of Soweto'' for nothing. South Africa's premier ''groaner'' since the late '50s, Mahlathini (Simon Nkabinde) ...1991-03-29
Posted March 29 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Moby explains why he ‘doesn’t ever want to tour again'
- Pussy Riot slam Trump in brutal new song, 'Make America Great Again'
- Donald Trump slams Hillary Clinton for attending Adele concert
- Miley Cyrus comments on engagement ring
- Seth Meyers mocks Donald Trump's Obamacare response
- Justin Timberlake on his voting booth selfie: 'I had no idea!'
- Elijah Wood turned down the chance to fight Daniel Radcliffe
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers