How could director Alan J. Pakula (Klute, Starting Over) turn the must-read thriller of 1987 into the feel-bad movie of 1990? The tip-off is Harrison Ford’s hairdo — a silly bowl cut that makes the star look like a penitent monk. This is a movie about guilt, you see: Ford’s dogged deputy DA is not only under suspicion for the murder of coworker Greta Scacchi, but he’s also crushed by the memory of their adulterous affair. The other characters have similar palls hanging over them, and the result is a film long on moping and short on momentum. In theaters, where the underplaying was magnified by the big screen, there were rewards in seeing character actors like Brian Dennehy and John Spencer working close to the vest. Watching Presumed Innocent on video, though, is almost as tedious as jury duty itself. C
Presumed Innocent How could director Alan J. Pakula (Klute, Starting Over) turn the must-read thriller of 1987 into the feel-bad movie of 1990? The tip-off is...Presumed InnocentMystery and ThrillerR How could director Alan J. Pakula (Klute, Starting Over) turn the must-read thriller of 1987 into the feel-bad movie of 1990? The tip-off is...1991-03-29John SpencerBradley WhitfordJohn Spencer, Bradley Whitford
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Bonnie Bedelia, Harrison Ford, Raul Julia, Greta Scacchi, John Spencer, Bradley Whitford; Director: Alan J. Pakula; MPAA Rating: R
Posted March 29 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the Color Line
- Jon Bon Jovi wrote a new song for the Rutgers' class of 2015
- Nicki Minaj drops 'The Night Is Still Young' video on Tidal
- TLC yanks '19 Kids and Counting' reruns
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to grads: 'You're f---ed'
- Kurt Sutter's new series a go at FX
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!