James Spader launched his career playing slimedogs and then turned to portraying earnest nice guys. John Cusack appears to be going in the opposite direction. In True Colors, the two are law students who bond at the University of Virginia and carry their friendship on to Washington, D.C., where they take radically different moral paths. Tim (Spader), who’s as honorable as a Boy Scout, gets a job in the Justice Department. Peter (Cusack), a hustler with a mysterious past, takes one look around him — the year is 1983, the triumphant crest of Reaganism — and realizes it’s an ends-justify-the-means kind of world. He gets a job as aide to a powerful senator (Richard Widmark) and then, through a series of manipulations so unconvincing I won’t bother to elaborate them, ends up running for the House of Representatives. Along the way, he screws over everybody he knows. At this point, you’d think Cusack would be a natural to play this sort of inside-the-Beltway grifter. But his performance, like the whole movie, lacks juice. True Colors is so busy preaching at you about Corruption In The ’80s that it never quite settles down and entertains. The film, which has an overly complicated script (by Kevin Wade), is like Wall Street minus Gordon Gekko. It takes the fun out of back-room political sleaziness — and out of political integrity, too.
True ColorsJames Spader launched his career playing slimedogs and then turned to portraying earnest nice guys. John Cusack appears to be going in the opposite...True ColorsDramaKevin WadeRJames Spader launched his career playing slimedogs and then turned to portraying earnest nice guys. John Cusack appears to be going in the opposite...1991-03-29Dina MerrillMandy PatinkinPhilip BoscoRichard WidmarkDina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard WidmarkParamount Home Video
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Cusack, James Spader, Dina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard Widmark; Director: Herbert Ross; Author: Kevin Wade; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Home Video
Posted March 29 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Watch John Glenn's appearance on 'Frasier'
- WATCH: How 'House of Cards' helped Mahershala Ali with 'Moonlight'
- 'Logan' screens extended preview, early reactions praise gritty tone
- WATCH: Bobby Moynihan, Judah Friedlander, Sasheer Zamata honor trees
- Neil deGrasse Tyson, Rob Lowe, more pay tribute to John Glenn on Twitter
- Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine documentary series is coming to HBO
- Then and now memes capture the trials of 2016
- The 20 Best (And 5 Worst!) TV Shows of 2016
- EW's 2016 Entertainers of the Year
- The 20 Best Movies of 2016
- Finding 'La La Land': Director Damien Chazelle's 15 Influences for His New Musical Romance
- 38 Photos of Ian Somerhalder For His 38th Birthday
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21: Meet Nick's 30 Bachelorettes