James Spader launched his career playing slimedogs and then turned to portraying earnest nice guys. John Cusack appears to be going in the opposite direction. In True Colors, the two are law students who bond at the University of Virginia and carry their friendship on to Washington, D.C., where they take radically different moral paths. Tim (Spader), who’s as honorable as a Boy Scout, gets a job in the Justice Department. Peter (Cusack), a hustler with a mysterious past, takes one look around him — the year is 1983, the triumphant crest of Reaganism — and realizes it’s an ends-justify-the-means kind of world. He gets a job as aide to a powerful senator (Richard Widmark) and then, through a series of manipulations so unconvincing I won’t bother to elaborate them, ends up running for the House of Representatives. Along the way, he screws over everybody he knows. At this point, you’d think Cusack would be a natural to play this sort of inside-the-Beltway grifter. But his performance, like the whole movie, lacks juice. True Colors is so busy preaching at you about Corruption In The ’80s that it never quite settles down and entertains. The film, which has an overly complicated script (by Kevin Wade), is like Wall Street minus Gordon Gekko. It takes the fun out of back-room political sleaziness — and out of political integrity, too.
True ColorsJames Spader launched his career playing slimedogs and then turned to portraying earnest nice guys. John Cusack appears to be going in the opposite...True ColorsDramaKevin WadeRJames Spader launched his career playing slimedogs and then turned to portraying earnest nice guys. John Cusack appears to be going in the opposite...1991-03-29Dina MerrillMandy PatinkinPhilip BoscoRichard WidmarkDina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard WidmarkParamount Home Video
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Cusack, James Spader, Dina Merrill, Mandy Patinkin, Philip Bosco, Richard Widmark; Director: Herbert Ross; Author: Kevin Wade; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Home Video
Posted March 29 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!