What’s most useful about this coffee-table adjunct to Citizen Kane’s silver jubilee is that it reminds you that Orson Welles didn’t do it all himself. True, the 25-year-old novice came closer to being the whole show than anyone has before or, arguably, since. Not only did he produce, direct, star, and rework Herman J. Mankiewicz’s script, Welles had a hand in everything from sound recording to choosing props. Yet Harlan Lebo’s careful prose paints a picture not of a megalomaniac but of a charismatic, boyish firebrand leading a talented troupe into a new era of moviemaking. Cinematographer Gregg Toland and makeup artist Maurice Seiderman get their due, and even RKO chief George Schaefer is acknowledged for his hands-off approach. The trauma surrounding Kane’s release is recalled, too, down to Louis B. Mayer’s attempt to placate newspaper mogul William Randolph Hearst (on whom Charles Foster Kane was loosely based) by offering to buy up the negative and burn it. There may, in fact, be too much detail here: If you don’t know what ”Rosebud” means, make sure you see the movie first. B
Citizen Kane: The Fiftieth-Anniversary Album What's most useful about this coffee-table adjunct to Citizen Kane's silver jubilee is that it reminds you that Orson Welles didn't do...Citizen Kane: The Fiftieth-Anniversary AlbumMoviesHarlan Lebo What's most useful about this coffee-table adjunct to Citizen Kane's silver jubilee is that it reminds you that Orson Welles didn't do...1991-04-05
Genre: Movies; Author: Harlan Lebo
Posted April 5 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!