In China, a land of many rules “forbidden passion” isn’t something out of a bad romance novel. It’s still possible to make a movie there about a scandalous love affair in which the lovers’ secretiveness — the fact that they’re drawn together against all better judgment! — becomes tantalizingly erotic. Zhang Yimou’s fable, a nominee for this year’s Best Foreign Film Oscar (see box), beings as the story of a romantic triangle. In a small village in the ’20s, a beautiful young woman, Ju Dou (Gong Li), is purchased by a prosperous, tyrannical man (Li Wei) who owns a mill for dyeing textiles. Because he’s impotent and a scoundrel, he spends much of the time beating her. Ready to die from pain and grief, she seduces the mill owner’s cowering nephew, Tianqing (Li Baotian), a skinny fellow with a shaven head who resembles a frightened Buddhist priest. The movie, which is photographed in a beautifully lush palette of oranges and reds, is a tale of fate, with the clandestine couple fighting to hold onto each other in a repressive, puritanical world. Ju Dou has been called a Chinese-folktale version of The Postman Always Rings Twice. It’s very deftly made, with the sort of dramatic shadings we’ve rarely seen in Chinese cinema. At the same time, the movie has a short-coming that plagues most variations on the Postman saga: It’s far more convincing during the first half — when the heat is on — than it is later, when the characters actually have to suffer retribution for their lust. B
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Gong Li, Mark Salzman, Yang Fenliang; Director: Yang Fenliang, Zhang Yimou; Author: Lui Heng; Release Date Limited: 12/31/1990; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Miramax
Posted April 5 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Conan reads late-night texts from Adam Sandler
- Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts 'The Martian' promo
- 6 new things we know about Janet Jackson's 'Unbreakable'
- Tom Hardy demonstrates his lip sync skills with Dubsmash
- Jon Hamm in talks to star in sci-fi drama 'Marjorie Prime'
- Can you name these VMA nominees based on just one photo?
- Adele's new album may have its release date
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!