The karmic wheel of film comedy brought the spirits of Chaplin and Keaton to postwar France, where they reemerged in the movies of Jacques Tati. Here the great Gallic actor- director serves as ringmaster of a hippie circus in which a hockey team disrupts the string quartet and clowns steal the spotlight from the rock band. The ringmaster spices up his unconventional non-narrative with his own sparkling physical comedy. But what makes this distinctively a Tati film is the way the director dotes on children in the audience, even turning over the stage to them in the final frames. In the world according to Tati (as in the world of his fans Steven Spielberg and George Lucas), the uninhibited delight of kids is the greatest show on earth. This TV movie — Tati’s last work — doesn’t match his 1967 masterpiece Playtime, but Parade is a sweet work of visual poetry from comedy’s gentlest genius. B+
Parade The karmic wheel of film comedy brought the spirits of Chaplin and Keaton to postwar France, where they reemerged in the movies of Jacques Tati. Here...ParadeForeign Language, ComedyJacques TatiUnrated The karmic wheel of film comedy brought the spirits of Chaplin and Keaton to postwar France, where they reemerged in the movies of Jacques Tati. Here...1991-04-05
Genre: Foreign Language, Comedy; Starring: Jacques Tati; Director: Jacques Tati; Author: Jacques Tati; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More