It’s taken a full decade for singer-songwriter Willie Nile to put out his third album, Places I Have Never Been, and it sounds like the work of a guy who’s been itching, bursting, exploding to say something for 10 long years. Nile’s previous collections were widely praised commercial bombs; he came off as a talented fellow deeply influenced by Bob Dylan’s brawny folk-rock and Bruce Springsteen’s overwrought poetic earnestness. Places also fits that description, but Nile has exhausted the usefulness of these influences. Words crowd his new songs, which bristle with grand pronouncements and fussed-over images. On ”Renegades,” the man proves he can really mix a metaphor: ”The visitors roomed in the halls of desire/Where waterfalls burned on the blankets of fire.” Nile deserves respect as an all-too-sincere craftsman and hard worker, but next time around (in 2001?), he should take a deep breath and relax a little.
Places I Have Never Been It's taken a full decade for singer-songwriter Willie Nile to put out his third album, Places I Have Never Been, and it sounds like...Places I Have Never BeenRock It's taken a full decade for singer-songwriter Willie Nile to put out his third album, Places I Have Never Been, and it sounds like...1991-04-05
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Willie Nile
Posted April 5 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday