It’s taken a full decade for singer-songwriter Willie Nile to put out his third album, Places I Have Never Been, and it sounds like the work of a guy who’s been itching, bursting, exploding to say something for 10 long years. Nile’s previous collections were widely praised commercial bombs; he came off as a talented fellow deeply influenced by Bob Dylan’s brawny folk-rock and Bruce Springsteen’s overwrought poetic earnestness. Places also fits that description, but Nile has exhausted the usefulness of these influences. Words crowd his new songs, which bristle with grand pronouncements and fussed-over images. On ”Renegades,” the man proves he can really mix a metaphor: ”The visitors roomed in the halls of desire/Where waterfalls burned on the blankets of fire.” Nile deserves respect as an all-too-sincere craftsman and hard worker, but next time around (in 2001?), he should take a deep breath and relax a little.
Places I Have Never Been It's taken a full decade for singer-songwriter Willie Nile to put out his third album, Places I Have Never Been, and it sounds like...Places I Have Never BeenRock It's taken a full decade for singer-songwriter Willie Nile to put out his third album, Places I Have Never Been, and it sounds like...1991-04-05
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Willie Nile
Posted April 5 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Floyd Mayweather, Katy Perry top Forbes' Celebrity 100 list
- Vertigo comic book movies headed to New Line
- Marvel’s 'Ant-Man' L.A. premiere livestream: Watch the red carpet arrivals here at 9 ET/6 PT
- Chris Pratt as Jason Statham in now-surfaced 'SNL' deleted sketch
- Everything you need to know about 'Magic Mike XXL,' in chart form
- Avril Lavigne is 'excited for life after' Lyme disease
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!