It’s taken a full decade for singer-songwriter Willie Nile to put out his third album, Places I Have Never Been, and it sounds like the work of a guy who’s been itching, bursting, exploding to say something for 10 long years. Nile’s previous collections were widely praised commercial bombs; he came off as a talented fellow deeply influenced by Bob Dylan’s brawny folk-rock and Bruce Springsteen’s overwrought poetic earnestness. Places also fits that description, but Nile has exhausted the usefulness of these influences. Words crowd his new songs, which bristle with grand pronouncements and fussed-over images. On ”Renegades,” the man proves he can really mix a metaphor: ”The visitors roomed in the halls of desire/Where waterfalls burned on the blankets of fire.” Nile deserves respect as an all-too-sincere craftsman and hard worker, but next time around (in 2001?), he should take a deep breath and relax a little.
Places I Have Never Been It's taken a full decade for singer-songwriter Willie Nile to put out his third album, Places I Have Never Been, and it sounds like...Places I Have Never BeenRock It's taken a full decade for singer-songwriter Willie Nile to put out his third album, Places I Have Never Been, and it sounds like...1991-04-05
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Willie Nile
Posted April 5 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!