From the fiery a cappella intro to this debut album, Cleveland proves herself a vocal force to be reckoned with — a gritty, full-throated singer whose delivery clearly owes much to gospel and blues influences. Unfortunately, she tends to write overly melodramatic numbers in the time-honored tradition of the tough broad with a heart. Not that Cleveland doesn’t know her way around a rock hook: ”Big Town” transcends lyrics like ”I gave a few years to fantasy/And a few more to drugs and drinkin”’ with an infectious, guitar-driven refrain, and the subdued verses of ”Angel” build to a bright, soaring chorus. Still, Cleveland’s relentless soul searching grows tiresome. By the time the last song finally grinds to a halt, Big Town has proven that even the most gifted rookies often swing too hard their first time at bat. C+
Big TownFrom the fiery a cappella intro to this debut album, Cleveland proves herself a vocal force to be reckoned with — a gritty, full-throated singer...Big TownR&BFrom the fiery a cappella intro to this debut album, Cleveland proves herself a vocal force to be reckoned with — a gritty, full-throated singer...1991-04-12
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Ashley Cleveland; Producer (group): Atlantic
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!