Oleta Adams’ 15 years as a Kansas City jazz nightclub act probably didn’t prepare her for the pop success she’s now enjoying. Her debut album, Circle of One, has moved into the top 20 some eight months after its release. It may have taken this long to catch on because it’s a gentle album dominated by sparse arrangements — mostly just piano, bass, and drums, which reflect Adams’ gospel roots. Her voice can soar with intensity, hanging onto notes for dear life, or suddenly drop into hushed intimacy. Adams’ top 10 hit, ”Get Here,” is an unrushed call to her lover, while her upcoming single, the album’s title track, is a rumbling declaration of hope, punctuated by jingling bells and backing vocals that ring out with muscular joy. Although the music on the album is a little too smooth, Adams’ voice roams freely, imbuing the collection with depth and warmth.
Circle of OneOleta Adams' 15 years as a Kansas City jazz nightclub act probably didn't prepare her for the pop success she's now enjoying. Her debut album, Circle of OneR&BOleta Adams' 15 years as a Kansas City jazz nightclub act probably didn't prepare her for the pop success she's now enjoying. Her debut album, 1991-04-12
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Oleta Adams; Producer (group): Fontana, Mercury Records
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Krasinski & Corden recreate 'Pulp Fiction' in hilarious sketch
- What to Watch Thurs.: 'RuPaul's All Star Drag Race' changes the rules
- 'Empire lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...