Oleta Adams’ 15 years as a Kansas City jazz nightclub act probably didn’t prepare her for the pop success she’s now enjoying. Her debut album, Circle of One, has moved into the top 20 some eight months after its release. It may have taken this long to catch on because it’s a gentle album dominated by sparse arrangements — mostly just piano, bass, and drums, which reflect Adams’ gospel roots. Her voice can soar with intensity, hanging onto notes for dear life, or suddenly drop into hushed intimacy. Adams’ top 10 hit, ”Get Here,” is an unrushed call to her lover, while her upcoming single, the album’s title track, is a rumbling declaration of hope, punctuated by jingling bells and backing vocals that ring out with muscular joy. Although the music on the album is a little too smooth, Adams’ voice roams freely, imbuing the collection with depth and warmth.
Circle of OneOleta Adams' 15 years as a Kansas City jazz nightclub act probably didn't prepare her for the pop success she's now enjoying. Her debut album, Circle of OneR&BOleta Adams' 15 years as a Kansas City jazz nightclub act probably didn't prepare her for the pop success she's now enjoying. Her debut album, 1991-04-12
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Oleta Adams; Producer (group): Fontana, Mercury Records
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Outlander' is becoming a war story, explains showrunner
- James Bond: Sam Mendes thinks 'it's time for somebody else' to direct
- Tom Hardy chats with Princes William and Harry at charity polo tournament
- 'Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?' trailer: James Franco's re-'vamp'
- Melissa McCarthy to 'Ghostbusters' haters: 'I hope they find a friend'
- Zac Efron shares 'High School Musical' throwback cast photo
- What is Essex Corp? 'X-Men: Apocalypse' post-credits scene explained
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers