Josephine Hart’s Damage, which has been the most heavily hyped debut in recent memory, turns out to be the ordinary story of a buttoned-up man who gets undone by something wild. The book is narrated by a prim, nameless British politician engaged in a metaphysically charged affair with his son’s fiancée, Anna Barton. The narrator’s wife, Ingrid, floats at the periphery of this story, as does his son, Martyn, with whom he has an outsize Oedipal rivalry. Damage is a competent tale of sex and death, the sort of thing Iris Murdoch could have written in a weekend. The narrator and Anna have just met when suddenly they’re behaving as if they had known each other in a previous life, and we’re told, ”I bit and tore and held her, round and round, as we rose and fell, rose and fell into the wilderness.” Here, as elsewhere, Hart cuts to the chase when we’re still not sure why everybody’s running. B-
Damage Josephine Hart's Damage, which has been the most heavily hyped debut in recent memory, turns out to be the ordinary story of a...DamageJosephine Hart Josephine Hart's Damage, which has been the most heavily hyped debut in recent memory, turns out to be the ordinary story of a...1991-04-12
Author: Josephine Hart
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!