Josephine Hart’s Damage, which has been the most heavily hyped debut in recent memory, turns out to be the ordinary story of a buttoned-up man who gets undone by something wild. The book is narrated by a prim, nameless British politician engaged in a metaphysically charged affair with his son’s fiancée, Anna Barton. The narrator’s wife, Ingrid, floats at the periphery of this story, as does his son, Martyn, with whom he has an outsize Oedipal rivalry. Damage is a competent tale of sex and death, the sort of thing Iris Murdoch could have written in a weekend. The narrator and Anna have just met when suddenly they’re behaving as if they had known each other in a previous life, and we’re told, ”I bit and tore and held her, round and round, as we rose and fell, rose and fell into the wilderness.” Here, as elsewhere, Hart cuts to the chase when we’re still not sure why everybody’s running. B-
Damage Josephine Hart's Damage, which has been the most heavily hyped debut in recent memory, turns out to be the ordinary story of a...DamageJosephine Hart Josephine Hart's Damage, which has been the most heavily hyped debut in recent memory, turns out to be the ordinary story of a...1991-04-12
Author: Josephine Hart
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- 'AHS' star shines in exclusive 'My All American' trailer
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!