In sheer heft, Down-Island Caribbean Cookery is the only volume that approaches Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz’ The Complete Book of Caribbean Cooking, published 18 years ago but still in print. Like Ortiz, the Elberts supply several variations on each theme, which accounts for some of the heft. But their real forte seems to be in the department of serious sweets, where they’ve amassed an impressive file of distinctive local desserts. Overall, the Elberts come across as outsiders who have sought out real island cooking and native ingredients — and have taken care to duplicate the sort of tasty spicing that the other books tend to simplify. B
Down-island Caribbean Cookery In sheer heft, Down-Island Caribbean Cookery is the only volume that approaches Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz' The Complete Book of ...Down-island Caribbean CookeryCooking/HomeGeorge A. Elbert, Virginie F. Elbert In sheer heft, Down-Island Caribbean Cookery is the only volume that approaches Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz' The Complete Book of ...1991-04-12
Genre: Cooking/Home; Author: George A. Elbert, Virginie F. Elbert
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!