BulletBoys’ second album could have been great. After their self-titled 1988 debut went gold, their potential as a commercial and also imaginative hard-rock band was clear — they’ve got the cocky front man, the powerful rhythm section, and the guitarist who occasionally bows down to Eddie Van Halen, but usually rises above that influence and flies into glorious heights of psycho riffing. Add to that a wonderful sense of humor — Freakshow’s title track points up the absurdities of the rock & roll party life-style by satirizing it instead of glorifying it. ”Goodgirl” laughs at the typical guy’s search for the perfect girl — or rather, perfect sex object. Plus, these guys bravely venture where most hard rockers fear to go — they will give most Tom Waits fans cardiac arrest with a pounding cover of his ”Hang On St. Christopher.” The problem is that all this charm has no foundation to stand on; there are no hooks or memorable melodies here. All of the BulletBoys’ interesting ideas get lost in a mishmash of noise. C+
Freak Show BulletBoys' second album could have been great. After their self-titled 1988 debut went gold, their potential as a commercial and also imaginative ...Freak Show BulletBoys' second album could have been great. After their self-titled 1988 debut went gold, their potential as a commercial and also imaginative ...1991-04-12
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!