BulletBoys’ second album could have been great. After their self-titled 1988 debut went gold, their potential as a commercial and also imaginative hard-rock band was clear — they’ve got the cocky front man, the powerful rhythm section, and the guitarist who occasionally bows down to Eddie Van Halen, but usually rises above that influence and flies into glorious heights of psycho riffing. Add to that a wonderful sense of humor — Freakshow’s title track points up the absurdities of the rock & roll party life-style by satirizing it instead of glorifying it. ”Goodgirl” laughs at the typical guy’s search for the perfect girl — or rather, perfect sex object. Plus, these guys bravely venture where most hard rockers fear to go — they will give most Tom Waits fans cardiac arrest with a pounding cover of his ”Hang On St. Christopher.” The problem is that all this charm has no foundation to stand on; there are no hooks or memorable melodies here. All of the BulletBoys’ interesting ideas get lost in a mishmash of noise. C+
Freak Show BulletBoys' second album could have been great. After their self-titled 1988 debut went gold, their potential as a commercial and also imaginative ...Freak Show BulletBoys' second album could have been great. After their self-titled 1988 debut went gold, their potential as a commercial and also imaginative ...1991-04-12
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Netflix explains why they didn't rescue 'Agent Carter'
- WATCH: Jimmy Kimmel joins the 'Mr. Robot' team
- Will Smith raps 'Miami' at 'Suicide Squad' block party
- What to Watch: A cappella teams fight it out on 'Sing It On'
- 'American Horror Story' teasers released on Snapchat
- 'Black Mirror' casts 'Game of Thrones' actor, sets premiere date
- 'Arrested Development' may 'pull back' on Trump jokes in season 5
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels