These sweet, toe-tapping time capsules prove that the brassy pop highlife music that erupted out of Ghana in the ‘50’s did more than get an audience to swing out on Saturday night; it also reclaimed a culture. Giants of Danceband Highlife shows how bandleader E.T. Mensah and his Tempos (and other groups that followed his lead) incorporated local rhythms and languages into imitations of Cuban-American big-band music being played by most West African groups; the results are a dated but addictive mix of Dixieland, cha-cha, and stunning ancestral cross-rhythms. All for You is all Mensah, offering the much-loved pioneer at his most disarming (including an instrumental version of the traditional ”John B. Calypso” that predates the Beach Boys hit ”Sloop John B” by more than a decade). By the late ’60s the dance bands were gone, swept away in a tide of rock-oriented, guitar-band highlife. These albums are moving snapshots of a sound that at its worst was merely charming and at its best was as hot as the sun under which it was recorded. Danceband Highlife: B+ All For You: B
Giants of Danceband Highlife These sweet, toe-tapping time capsules prove that the brassy pop highlife music that erupted out of Ghana in the '50's did more than get an audience...Giants of Danceband HighlifeWorld These sweet, toe-tapping time capsules prove that the brassy pop highlife music that erupted out of Ghana in the '50's did more than get an audience...1991-04-12
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!