Any film by the great Spanish surrealist Luis Buñuel is worth watching, even if it’s relatively minor Buñuel. Here is a grim and funny story of two laid-off transit workers who drunkenly steal a Mexico City streetcar one night for one last spin before the car is retired to the junkyard. On board, the fellows encounter a cross section of humanity — a nobleman, cruel schoolchildren, meat-factory workers, criminals, an irritating gossip — and, as usual, Buñuel’s theme is ”What fools these mortals be.” The streetcar functions fluently as a metaphor for the stop-and-start vagaries of existence. Yet Illusion Travels By Streetcar could have used a bit more bite and certainly better pacing. This time around, illusion should have taken a taxi. B-
Illusion Travels by StreetcarAny film by the great Spanish surrealist Luis Buñuel is worth watching, even if it's relatively minor Buñuel. Here is a grim and funny story of...Illusion Travels by StreetcarSci-fi and Fantasy, Foreign Language, DramaUnratedAny film by the great Spanish surrealist Luis Buñuel is worth watching, even if it's relatively minor Buñuel. Here is a grim and funny story of...1991-04-12
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Lilia Prado, Carlos Navarro; Director: Luis Bunuel; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'AHS: Hotel' teasers: What do they mean?
- One Direction break six 2016 Guinness World Records
- See an exclusive poster and trailer for thriller 'Partisan'
- 'Scandal's' Huck and Quinn have some dark plans for Gonzo in 'Muppets' teaser
- Bette Midler wants to play Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence’s mom
- El-P on 'Meow the Jewels': 'Let's fight injustice with pure, annoying stupidity'
- Demi Lovato, The Weeknd announced as 'SNL' musical guests
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Victoria Justice, Laura & Andrew, Rihanna and More!