Lenny Kravitz must be the most selfless artist on earth. Instead of making records that assert a personality and style of his own, he apparently has dedicated his career to slavishly imitating others. His new album, Mama Said, like his 1989 debut, Let Love Rule, is nearly monastic in its apparent dedication to rehashing the work of his ’60s idols: John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Curtis Mayfield, and Sly and the Family Stone. Kravitz exhumes their styles with such eerie perfection that classic-rock revivalists like the Black Crowes seem like wild-eyed pioneers by comparison. But if Kravitz can ape the general sound of his gods, he seldom grasps their hooks. Apart from his catchy Mayfield impressions, his new stuff is worth no more than the most numb-brained, forgotten ’60s psychedelic band. His lyrics evoke the period, but offer a different spin on ideas of the time. While he often expresses dippy-hippie bliss, don’t invite him to any love-ins: All his songs espouse monogamy. Even when he conjures up vintage visions of heaven, his lyrics are so blandly blissed-out you’ll find yourself crying out for stinky old earth. And there’s an even more basic problem: How can we trust the brimming optimism of someone who spends so much time mired in the past?
Mama Said Lenny Kravitz must be the most selfless artist on earth. Instead of making records that assert a personality and style of his own, he apparently has ...Mama SaidRock Lenny Kravitz must be the most selfless artist on earth. Instead of making records that assert a personality and style of his own, he apparently has ...1991-04-12
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Lenny Kravitz; Producer (group): Virgin
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Benicio Del Toro hints again at 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' involvement
- 'Key & Peele' prove Neil deGrasse Tyson can use his brain to get out of anything
- 'Arrow' first look: Check out Diggle's new super suit
- 'House of Cards' actor joins 'Luke Cage' as Cottonmouth
- Anne Hathaway says she's already losing roles to younger actresses
- See Daniel Radcliffe play 'Grand Theft Auto' creator in new movie
- The 'Age of Ultron' gag reel proves the Avengers are only human (well, except Thor)
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!